Silver linings and unexpected bonuses

• 9 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Silver linings and unexpected bonuses
« on: June 13, 2013, 20:39 »
It occured to me as I weeded away on the plot today, how things work themselves out in the end  :)

Last year, the dreadful weather meant I has space at the end of the summer, I don't usually have.  So I bought a load of cabbage plants and stuck them in and Sunshineband gave me spare red cabbage plants.  I also sowed chard and mustard greens and with those and the leeks that were already in, we ate really well all winter.

This year, the spuds are late, so looking around for space for leeks.  OK can see some there and there and then when the spuds do come out, I can repeat the brassica bounty for this winter  :D

Left to my own devices I get carried away with summer crops and never leave enough room for winter stuff  :)

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
Re: Silver linings and unexpected bonuses
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 20:55 »
Here here! Actually, I was thinking only last night about sowing winter/spring brassicas very soon  :blink:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 07:24 »
I am lazy and usually buy quite a few of mine  :blush: 

And as if by magic, the DT Brown catalogue arrived yesterday with packs of mixed winter veg plants on offer, so you can try a few of lots of things  :D  I feel a serious read and decision making session coming on.  Will tide me over till my ultimate treat of seed catalogue shopping  :lol:

salmonking

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 07:36 »
hi there,im pretty new to this.how late can you plant cabbages?as I was thinking that when I pull the spuds it will be a shame not to plant something else if possible. :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 07:57 »
That's my plan Salmonking  :) Winter stuff will be going in when the spuds come out  :)

If you are growing from seed, you need to start pretty soon, but the plants can be transplated to their final postions later.  Some people do seed rows on the plot, some sow in pots or modules and lazy people like me buy in  ;)  :lol:  The DT Brown catalogue says dispatch mid -August/September depending on what you buy, so plenty of time yet  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 08:59 »
And as if by magic, the DT Brown catalogue arrived yesterday with packs of mixed winter veg plants on offer

The Magic arrived here as well  ;)

salmonking

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 17:27 »
That's my plan Salmonking  :) Winter stuff will be going in when the spuds come out  :)

If you are growing from seed, you need to start pretty soon, but the plants can be transplated to their final postions later.  Some people do seed rows on the plot, some sow in pots or modules and lazy people like me buy in  ;)  :lol:  The DT Brown catalogue says dispatch mid -August/September depending on what you buy, so plenty of time yet  :)

thanks for that,will have to get a catalogue

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2013, 18:57 »
Great plan  8)

Then you can join the furtive catalogue page rustling ranks of the seedaholics anonymous group.  Me and Mumofstig are founding members and I can guarantee will both find some seeds we couldn't possibly live without, to add to any plant orders ;)  :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2013, 20:11 »
You know me too well  :nowink:

vanessa.xx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2013, 20:44 »
It's unbelievable how happy I was when the catalogue arrived yesterday  :wub: I had just been wondering what to do about winter veg and they answer dropped through my letterbox  :lol:

xx
unexpected veg!

Started by Lily on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 06, 2007, 22:23
by GrannieAnnie
xx
an unexpected surprise!!

Started by Jonajo on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 04, 2010, 17:49
by JaK
xx
Unexpected hot weather

Started by mkhenry on Grow Your Own

39 Replies
Last post February 15, 2008, 00:30
by SkipRat
xx
Unexpected Disasters.....maybe?

Started by Axe Victim on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 20, 2007, 09:58
by milkman

Page created in 0.354 seconds with 39 queries.