What time is bed time??

• 9 Replies

chickenlicken

What time is bed time??
« on: April 05, 2009, 16:59 »
Hi, Just got our 5 chickens this morning and wanted to ask a quick question.  All the girls have been happily in the run all afternoon but by 4pm they had all gone inside, it has turned quite cold now but was expecting to have to crawl around pushing them one by one through the pop-hole, is this normal bedtime??

Thanks

very new chicken owner!!

Vember

Re: What time is bed time??
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 17:08 »
Mine usually take themselves off to bed 7:30 ish :)
Maybe the stress of moving house has tired them out ???

See how they get on tomorrow, once they're more sure of their surroundings I'm sure they'll stay up later :D

Sarah :)

chickenlicken

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 18:05 »
Thanks Sarah for your reply, they have all just popped back out for last play of the day so think you are right - think they probably just getting used to it!
Thanks for reassurance

Tracey

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 19:03 »
The last one of ours went in at 8.10pm last night.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 22:56 »
Our cockerel is usually the first to bed just as the sun goes down, followed by the layers, then Rosie and Mary and the meat chickens stay out until I herd them in just before dark.

henkeeper

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 15:24 »
I have had my 3 for a month and they are getting later and later as the sun sets later.  One always goes about 1/2 an hour before the others and one is always last in.  At the moment they are going in at about 8.00 p.m. but a bit earlier if it is cold and miserable

Rozlynmac

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 15:45 »
How do the chickens take to being put to bed in broad daylight? I ask because I'm hoping to get mine soon which means that they are going to be in an environment where it's daylight until nigh on midnight & dawn again by 4am over summer. But then in the winter, it's not light until almost 9am and dark again before 5pm. Will they change their body clock to suit?

Oh the things you think of to worry about when you start investigating.  :unsure:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 15:51 »
I don't let my girls out until 7:30 a.m. at any time of year and they go to bed at dusk - 4 p.m in December and 10 p.m. in June.

I would have thought the hens will like the long days of summer in the hebrides bu the short days of winter could be a problem for theg to get enough food processed through to make eggs.  Unless you give them some extra artificial light then you'll have no eggs for months over winter.

Rozlynmac

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 16:06 »
Thanks for that Aunt Sally. The summer hours sound good 'cos that's usually when the dogs are first & last out during the day too. As for winter, It sounds like I'd better investigate some lighting for them. Our days can be pretty dull all winter, even during daylight hours it can be dusk like most of the day. I'm already working out how to protect them from some of our weather, so this is just another factor.

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 16:36 »
Our hens go to bed at around 7:40 right now and last week it was 7:30.  They seem to be adjusting to the lengthening days.
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

xx
Bed time

Started by New Hampshire lover on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post May 29, 2008, 21:52
by treacleminer
xx
What time do I put them to bed?

Started by Blondie on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 23, 2007, 15:25
by dawninspain
xx
is there a right time to buy pol

Started by sued on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 12, 2008, 23:00
by GrannieAnnie
xx
How much time

Started by fluffypebble on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 24, 2007, 13:50
by fluffypebble

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 38 queries.