A new Start

• 6 Replies

hammers07

A new Start
« on: March 06, 2010, 07:24 »
I have a large allotment plot split into two parts. The lower part is twice the size of the upper part. The allotment is on a slope and i have only been growing on the lower half but with varied results. I have lots of problems with horsetail,bind weed and couch grass.The top half is overgrown and needs clearing this year. My biggest moan is that the allotment owner on one side has left his plot to ‘nature’ and it is overgrown with brambles and bind weed that always encrouch onto my plot and i am forever having to cut it back. Everyone complains about it but he is the allotment secretary and although he says he will clear it it never gets done. So this year i’m getting out the roundup and unfortunately the spray may just accidently land on his bramble patch.  However what I really want to know is why i always have a poor crop or a good crop but small size  and everyone else seems to have a bumper crop and large cabbages, cauliflowers etc. Also i have tried planting rasberry bushes, as lots of others havs them , but mine keep dying. Should I be adding different things to the soil dependant on what I'm growing in a particular area. I've been thinking this year on just concentrating on keeping the plot weed free and treating it with fertalisers. Any suggestions welcome.
A slug is for life not just for the allotment

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: A new Start
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 10:27 »
well, size and amount of crop could always be down to the variety grown, as some are bred for larger size. In this respect you could always ask the succesful old boys what they are growing :)

Raspberries usually live and crop anywhere so I'm surprised these are a problem. Do you water them well the first year after planting just to make sure they take?

If your soil is very poor can you get animal manure to dig in as this is very good for improving the soil. Personally I wouldn't use chemical fertilizers like Growmore as these tend to make your soil worse if they are used over many years. Try blood fish and bone or an organic fertilizer while you build your soil fertility.

Also, have you checked the ph of your soil as it may need liming?

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 10:42 »
While you shouldn't have to control other peoples mess : I really wouldn't spray someone else plot, especially anyone on the committee, thats just asking for trouble.

Brambles are easy just keep hacking them back - at least you can pick some rewards for your efforts.

Bindweed & couch grass are a nightmare - there have been several posts on chemically controlling them but a physical barrier between the plots will help as will keep digging them out and removing the roots.

As for the marestail - which site are you on ? If its on The Broadway good luck with it, thats been there for 30 years to my knowledge  :D

Id take a small section of the plot say 25% and double dig it properly remove everything that looks plant or root like. Take your time and do it properly, it took me 3 weeks to do a 12x20ft section here.  That'll break up any pan that might be there and give you a fighting chance against the new weeds.

Id then sow a fast growing spring green manure crop to get as much fresh organic matter into the ground as possible unless you can get lots of well rotted manure delivered.  It might not be fertilizers that your soil needs it might be structure.

Plant in late spring and see what your results are like.  I wouldn't try brassicas in the area this year as the ground will be too fluffy but everything else should be fine.

hammers07

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 15:00 »
thanks for the advise - i have been using chicken manure pellets -the past couple of years - are these any good as fertilizer ? could that be the problem ? are they too acidic ?

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 15:35 »
thanks for the advise - i have been using chicken manure pellets -the past couple of years - are these any good as fertilizer ? could that be the problem ? are they too acidic ?

They are fine for nutrients but they do little to improve the soil structure. Think of the volume of organic matter you're adding to the soil by dumping a couple of tonnes of hoss muck in it compare that to the few pellets you scatter.

Get some organic matter in there to retain moisture and the nutrients you're adding with the pellets, especially if you're growing on a slope.

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 16:44 »
I would have a dig down to see what is below your top and sub soil levels in case you have a hard pan between the two that prevents drainage and it will also give you an idea of the depth of your top soil. You shouldn't be having such a problem with such poor returns. As had been said, always add more compost and manure each year but I had reasonable crops after cultivating a field area but there were different depths of top soil which I put raised beds on and have cultivated since with good results.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Lupin lurcher

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 21:30 »
HI Hammers 07, I realy am with you on this prob. I have a plot next to me that never gets tender to, when I took over my plot in Aug 09 me and hubby spent so much time getting rid of weeds it was unbelivable, 120 dustbin bags, the small plot next to me had not been touched and as the weather got warmer during sept oct the plot next to me got higher and higher with weeds, I had a word with the comittee and they said as long as they pay their fees they cant do anything about it.  When paying my fees I asked if the neglected plot neglecters had paid their fees I was told yes they had, I was told on the quiet that they do this every year clear the plot at end of march and then leave it all year long.  This year I will not put up with it can not stand weeding my plot every single day to find that the seeds from all the weeds you can imagine comes onto my space.  I am not the only one on our site putting up with this cr*p, the one 3 plots down is a full plot and has been covered with black plastic for 3 years apparently, so some of the guys say, and these belong to comittee members.  So what can you do.  As they say you are like a rabbitt in the headlights, nowhere to turn, just have to move on and stay out of the light.  Hugs.

wink
Where to start.

Started by ohsocute on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post November 03, 2009, 08:26
by ohsocute
xx
Where to start?

Started by AK9 on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post February 18, 2014, 12:30
by AK9
xx
Start all over again

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 07, 2011, 16:42
by Kristen
xx
When to start?

Started by willdotcom on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 30, 2008, 10:03
by willdotcom

Page created in 0.43 seconds with 37 queries.