Strawberries Under Glass

• 2 Replies

Stevie P

Strawberries Under Glass
« on: July 16, 2008, 22:22 »
I was lucky enough to get a greenhouse for my birthday - now erected I have filled it up with tomato plants and lettuce and was wondering if it is possible and how good are strawberries grown in a greenhouse - I have some young plants to set out in a bed but am thinking of putting some in greenhouse for really early strawberries for 2009.  Am I dreaming or have I seen pictures of strawberry plants growing on staging in grow bags with enormous strawberries cascading down - can I emulate in a 8X6 greenhouse without heat? Cultivational tips would be gratefully received.
Thanks for looking

gobs

Strawberries Under Glass
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 23:10 »
Most lettuce don't like the heat of a gh, strawberries you can bring on early, if you want, but they need good pollination for healthy fuit and good crop, you might need to do it yourself, unless full of visitors. They are very hardy, temperatures just help, the major trigger of flowering and fruiting is daylight hours though.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Strawberries Under Glass
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 23:21 »
I don't know much about growing strawberries, but near to where we lived in Esex, one of our local farm shop/PYO started grwoing their strawberries in polytunnels, and on raised platform.  they got a long season plus the strawberries wre easier to pick!  I've got half my little alpine strawberries in my greenhouse, trying them out!

xx
glass

Started by ToHellWithWeeds! on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 02, 2008, 19:24
by cawdor2001
xx
Glass!

Started by Opposite on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 05, 2017, 16:27
by BabbyAnn
xx
Two big panes of glass!!

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post October 14, 2010, 06:06
by Goldfinger
xx
Glass & Manure

Started by Topsie on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 13, 2008, 21:50
by Topsie

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 35 queries.