Momentous life occasion.

• 27 Replies

Welsh Merf

Momentous life occasion.
« on: February 05, 2021, 19:08 »
Hello again (stranger you may say), but I have decided to retire. It will either be the end of March, or the end of July 2021. Whichever it is, the decision has been made for certain, and it will happen.

To that end, I have applied for an allotment again, in two towns (about 4 miles from each other). My home town (New Romney) and where I originally had my allotment (Lydd), which is from where I joined this group.

New Romney Town Council has informed me that there is at least a year waiting list, and I am 15th on the said list.

Lydd Town Council has said there is a waiting list, but have not said where I am currently positioned on the starting grid.

However, and personally knowing the chairmen of both allotments, each have said they can't understand why there is a waiting list, and today both showed me around both allotments, and showed me the vacant plots, of which there are at least a dozen on each site. My question is a very simple one: Why? Do the town councils actually keep a grip on what's happening in reality? Or do they just drive from a desk?

Sorry - pressed the wrong button and posted before I was finished!

I have learned a lot from this group, and from getting my first allotment. I went and saw that first plot I had some years ago today, and I nearly cried (when I download my phone photos onto the laptop I will send you a picture). It was despondent, derelict, and disgusting. The shed, which is now actually eight or nine years old, looks more like a thirty-year-old shed, with a great big fencing panel smashed against it. It is winter now, but the growth of weeds is unbelievable; chainsaw, axe, manchette springs to mind.

When I took that allotment on in the first place, in hindsight, it was very naïve and foolish of me. I wanted an allotment, and that was it. I didn't consider the implications of work. I was relatively young, tough and hard, and thought I could manage it, and that was my very basic mistake . . . I thought. I've never been any good at thinking.

I am led to believe, and I actually believe this, when you retire, you must always have a reason to get up in the morning. Obviously not for work (because you've retired), but for one reason or another. If you don't have that motivation to get up, you will, no doubt, turn into a vegetative state, and spend the day drinking beer (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, by the way!)

When I retire, my work will be on "the farm". The difference being that I don't HAVE to get up at 5.30 in the morning, and I don't HAVE to wait until 5 in the evening before I go home. I don't HAVE schedules to keep, I don't HAVE monotonous meetings to attend, I am not answerable to anyone, and nobody is answerable to me.

I am not going to go into it like a lunatic (this time), instead, I am going to "go with the flow" as they say. We have had a lot of rain the past few weeks, and I can see the top of the water table from above ground - it is that bad! So, I obviously won't be digging and rooting about in that sort of weather. Instead, I might do some general maintenance.

I have plans . . . that is all.

I have had plans before . . . that is all as well.

Good luck and best wishes.

Love God . . . AKA Welsh Merf.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 19:38 by Welsh Merf »
I may be Welsh, but I love ewe anyway!

See my diary pages here

and add a comment here

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Momentous life occasion.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2021, 19:27 »
Do the council even know there are any unworked plots, unless they inspect regularly, or someone tells them - they might not know.
If they have been notified, then it's council inefficiency - someone needs to politely put them in the picture  :lol:
Mind you, because of the Covid excuse for doing nothing - that's what is happening here  :D

Welsh Merf

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2021, 19:52 »
One of my engineers at work, his wife is the town council secretary for the New Romney allotments. I will be having a chat with him . . . politely as a friend of course. In my mind, they are losing income hand over fist, bearing in mind that the town council office is less that 500 yards from the allotments!

As an old school engineer, I've have become despondent with "desk engineers" who rely on Internet information, and drawings, rather than actually going to physically have a look at the job (one of the many reasons I've decided to retire). And don't even start me on the subject of home working!

Life has changed, most definitely for the safer in the current climate, but in the long term, for the worst I fear.

Cotton wool springs to mind.

Merf.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2021, 21:25 »
Lovely to see you back again, Merf !

Looking forward to seeing your plot and your progress with it... when you get one.

Welsh Merf

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2021, 08:32 »
Not sure if this will work, but I have attached a photo of New Romney Allotments in its current state, and the area that I will politely refuse a plot.

If you don't see a picture, please someone let me know!

Ta muchly!
Merf.
20210131_121909[1].jpg
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 08:37 by Welsh Merf »

Welsh Merf

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2021, 08:35 »
And this one (if it works as well as the last one) is the current state of my old plot on Lydd Allotments, and which I said was in a dreadful state.
20210205_143201[1].jpg
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 08:38 by Welsh Merf »

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2021, 10:50 »
Oh dear  :(  New Romney looks better than Lydd at present.

snowdrops

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2021, 11:53 »
Hi there & welcome home  :). Are the 2 chairmen able to follow up with the council why there are waiting lists if plots are vacant?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Christine

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2021, 12:51 »
Both lots need me as a lettings officer.  :lol: Those as don't work according to tenancy go and the space is quickly filled 99.5 % of the time. There's always one awkward cuss on the list that takes a bit more time to move on but we get there.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2021, 13:36 »
Hi, It is nice to see you back.   I hope you soon get your plot sorted, it is such a waste of time to have to wait when there are plots not being used.   If yuo know who the individuals are, could you approach them and suggest that you could "help" them use it for a while.  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

jezza

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2021, 14:01 »
Hello check the council planning applications theres been 2 allotment sites in my area that have been built on,the only notice the tenants had was when the excavators went in on a Monday morning to clear the sites, the previous tenant should have left the site in a usable condition if not the council use to be obliged to rotavate and leave for the next tenant    jezza

grinling

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2021, 14:15 »
Plots look like my front and back garden with all this rain. Though both areas drain very quickly when it stops raining.
See what both allotments offer and what crime has been like. Being overlooked can be useful

Welsh Merf

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2021, 14:28 »
Plots look like my front and back garden with all this rain. Though both areas drain very quickly when it stops raining.
See what both allotments offer and what crime has been like. Being overlooked can be useful

Both are overlooked by relatively new houses, and both have CCTV and sturdy boundary fences. Lydd is bigger, and the soil is lighter than Romney (apparently).

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2021, 14:59 »
.... the council use to be obliged to rotavate and leave for the next tenant    jezza
Not many councils do that any more, I'm sorry to say. Ours doesn't, and if you look in the diaries most first pictures show some really overgrown plots :(

Welsh Merf

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2021, 08:05 »
According the the New Romney Allotment Tenancy Agreement, you have to pay £100 in advance of renting your plot, and this goes towards clearing it after you finish, if you leave it in a mess. I don't mind paying that money in advance, but I will expect an already cleared plot, either by the previous tenant, or by the council. I think that's a fair enough expectation, don't you? However, I have never heard of either Lydd or New Romney Town Councils clearing disused plots. But that's not to say they don't; it's just that I haven't heard of them doing it, and between both sites I have quite a few friends.

Anyway, on another subject, what's the crack with joining Allotment Committees, i.e. do you have to, is it a good idea, does your life suddenly become filled with politics and bureaucracy? However, I guess this is another subject, so not for this thread?

Ta.
Merf.

xx
Bag for life.

Started by Lardman on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post February 09, 2023, 09:54
by Subversive_plot
xx
Life hacks...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post March 28, 2021, 19:22
by Subversive_plot
xx
Life hacks...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post June 14, 2021, 18:14
by jaydig
xx
Wishing one's life away?

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Chatting on the Plot

15 Replies
Last post December 15, 2017, 17:07
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 56 queries.