Figs

• 4 Replies

iggyboy60

• Experienced Member
Figs
« on: February 20, 2011, 19:38 »
Hi all,I have two fig trees which are about to start their second season with me and I'm sure they are no more than 3yrs old. I have them in pots at the moment as I was told to keep the roots restricted so as to encourage fruiting. My question is, what is the correct type of growing medium needed? Do they prefare acidic soil like a lot of other fruits do? And am I right to keep the figs in pots or would they be better off in the ground. The beauty of the figs being in pots meant I had no problem in putting them in my polytunnel to over-winter...again,have I done the right thing by keeping the figs in the polytunnel to over-winter or would they be better off left outside?  Thanks for any advice  :)
people talk rubbish

Lee1978

Re: Figs
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 19:55 »
I bought 2 fig trees ("Brown Turkey")several years ago now and kept them both in pots like you but i became sick of moving the pots around so ended up planting them at the top of my plot which is south facing and they seem to thrive.

I incorporated some well rotted manure into the holes before planting and hoped for the best. I had a good year last year having lots of figs :)

iggyboy60

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 19:57 »
cheers mate! I'm losing the plot as I already asked about figs on here no so long ago...feel a bit daft now. Doh  :wacko:

Lee1978

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 20:04 »
cheers mate! I'm losing the plot as I already asked about figs on here no so long ago...feel a bit daft now. Doh  :wacko:

No need, that's what the forums are for ;)

Carrotcake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 20:44 »
Restricting the roots is supposed to improve fruiting, so if you want to put the figs out in the ground, you could edge the planting hole with concrete slabs.

I don't think they're overly fussy about soil. Ours is alkaline and they crop pretty well. You do need to be careful about overwintering them. They are OK down to about -7 degC apparently, but we have lower temps than that in winter and haven't lost ours yet.

smiley
Figs

Started by iggyboy60 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 15, 2011, 21:21
by VirginVegGrower
xx
figs

Started by kingston boy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 15, 2011, 21:38
by SUTTY1
xx
Anyone know anything about Figs???

Started by lina on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post September 01, 2009, 22:17
by tode
xx
Figs!!!!!!

Started by Kiki on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 02, 2011, 21:11
by operabunny

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 39 queries.