BOKASHI

• 11 Replies

TREGRAHOW

BOKASHI
« on: November 13, 2011, 08:19 »
Keen to try Bokashi but, also keen to avoid extortionate bran prices. I want to try making my own Bokashi bran using EM liquid, molasses and plain wheat bran. I have found the EM liquid and molasses at reasonable prices but, can anyone tell where I can purchase wheatbran in quantities of approx. 10kg or so and at a sensible price? Thanks.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: BOKASHI
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 12:30 »
Would it be appropriate to use wheat bran designed for feeding horses? You'll probably pay around or no more than £9.00 for 20 Kg.

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

TREGRAHOW

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 15:45 »
Doh!! Never gave that a thought. Found it online @ £9.49. I'll try local stables etc... to find supply within affordable driving distance. Thanks for the tip.

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 15:49 »
Always happy to give helpful suggestions. :) Where I work (agri merchant) it is sold at £9.00 for 20Kg and in researching the answer to this question I found it online at £8.95. I just don't know if it has additives (I am not a horse expert), I doubt it though.

:)

rainie

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 19:15 »
Have you any success with finding the bran? How much do you need? I have a big bag in my feedbin...
Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else.

TREGRAHOW

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 22:52 »
Yes thanks. Found a feed merchant within five miles and got 10kg for £3.60. What a bargain!! EM liquid arrived yesterday morning from "blue sun" in Wales. Mixed bran, EM and molasses this morning and placed in pantry. To make sure it ferments properly I'll leave it at least 3 weeks - possibly 4. Just in time for Christmas and all the kitchen waste and leftovers that goes with it. All I need now is patience.

TREGRAHOW

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 08:24 »
Final check of the fermented bran mix; clean yeasty smell with a little white mould on top. Large greenhouse tray on top of wardrobe in spare bedroom dried the mix out perfectly. Now have a two litre kilner jar of mix. Too late (idle) for Christmas but have started one bin with leftovers and veg peelings etc... Seems everything is going right. Just hope it continues that way

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 10:04 »
Good news. :)

stentman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 10:04 »
Sorry to ask a dum question what is Bokashi and what do you do with it?

Just had a google it's either a sort of japanese block printing or censorship shading or a form of compost given the forum it's a type of compost we are talking about I guess.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 10:12 by stentman »
Stents keeping things open 24/7

If one way be better than another, that you can be sure is natures way. Aristotle 384BC - 322BC

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 13:11 »
Compost it is, stentman. :)

greentig3r

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 22:21 »
We use a Bokashi system with 2 sealed bins. One ferments for 2 weeks while the other is being filled. We have't been using it long but had some great peas and beans last year where we'd used it.

You can drain off the liquid and dilute as a feed but we don't usually get round to it.

It's a good way to compost if you don't have a garden nearby as the bins are sealed so you can keep it in the kitchen.

TREGRAHOW

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 08:12 »
Bokashi buckets are available online from so many places. Even some councils are getting in on the act - and cheaper than commercial outlets. I saw buckets at a very low price on Wolverhampton's website - then they revamped the website and I can't seem to find my way around it yet.

Shop around - the bargains are out there. The same goes for the bran mix although once you've sourced the ingredients that can be made very, very, cheaply.

Do it yourself - have fun!

xx
cheap bokashi?

Started by strangerachael on Frugal Living

3 Replies
Last post February 02, 2009, 14:01
by rainbow1

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 35 queries.