Ross cobb cockerels

• 7 Replies

sheridal

• Experienced Member
Ross cobb cockerels
« on: September 13, 2008, 08:18 »
I was just wondering, we have some ross cobb cockerels that we got with the intention of eating but is it possible to keep one of these to fertilize our hens for further chicks that we could grow up to eat? I don't see any reason why not, but a friend (who knows a bit about chickens) said not to, but never got round to asking why.

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
Ross cobb cockerels
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 08:33 »
It may be that their possible concern is the weight that these birds become massive! And if left to long they go off their legs although saying that our Hubbards were 12/14 wks and HUGE but one of the cockerels was struggling to walk a bit but it didn’t stop him treading the girls!

I have heard that often hens are kept and a young fit cockerel is brought in to do the treading i.e. a light Sussex boy.

Foxy

Ross cobb cockerels
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 09:12 »
that was my understanding too Kim -Ross Cobbs are basically engineered commercial meat birds which aren't designed to live much longer than about six weeks before they are slaughtered. So probably wouldn't be able to do the job because just too heavy or die of a heart attack -mind you I suppose not a bad way to go! :shock:
I have lots of Faverolles cocks that I am rearing for meat a lovely traditional French meat bird that would take 5-6 months to get to eating weight.  However, if anyone wants one they are free! :lol:

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
Ross cobb cockerels
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 09:42 »
Hey Foxy what a kind offer..................FREE culled and dressed chooks you’ll have no shortage of takers………………….or have I misunderstood?  :wink:  :wink:  :lol:  :lol:

sheridal

• Experienced Member
Ross cobb cockerels
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 10:33 »
Ok, thanks for the advice, will have to rethink a bit then. Cheers

Foxy

Ross cobb cockerels
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 15:24 »
Quote from: "kimT"
Hey Foxy what a kind offer..................FREE culled and dressed chooks you’ll have no shortage of takers………………….or have I misunderstood?  :wink:  :wink:  :lol:  :lol:

:shock:  :shock:  :lol:

peterhewett

Re: Ross cobb cockerels
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 12:25 »
I was wondering how heavy they are when killed drawn and plucked. Does anyone know?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 12:38 by richyrich7 »

Casey76

Re: Ross cobb cockerels
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 12:41 »
Cobbs at 8-10 weeks should be around 4lbs dressed, but I prefer a slower growing hybrid (less chance of them going down on their legs of dying of heart attacks).

This year I've had Sasso birds.  The Cendre's were 4lb, 4lb 2oz at 14 weeks and 5lb at 19 weeks.  The Sasso-Hubbard JA857 were 4lb 4oz, 4lb 2oz at 14 week and 5lb 10oz at 19 weeks (fuly dressed)

Having said that, I really preferred the Cendre.  In general they were easier to pluck, left a cleaner carcass (the JA857 looked as if it was wearing hair shirt even after plucking!), and in general were much less flighty.

I have 2 sasso naked neck cockerals to process this weekend, and I'm not really looking forward to it.  They are as flighty as you can get, and viscious to the girls.  At least then I'll be back down to one cockerel - having 10 about the place was getting a bit much lol!

xx
ross/cobb chickens

Started by newbi on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 19, 2009, 00:48
by GrannieAnnie
xx
My Ross Cobb dosent seem well - can i still cull and eat?

Started by jonny1982 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 06, 2008, 20:00
by pushrod
xx
plucking, drawing and cooking ross cobb poultry

Started by Mary Clark on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post December 17, 2008, 09:52
by hookfarmchickens
xx
Cobb hens, worth the bother?

Started by Ayupmeduck on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 14, 2010, 08:42
by Casey76

Page created in 0.279 seconds with 39 queries.