Dotty has hatched some turkey eggs

• 139 Replies

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Dotty has hatched some turkey eggs
« Reply #90 on: October 11, 2012, 15:38 »
I don't know, they are so child like apart from the mating/dancing/fighting.  When Dotty had bantam chicks she decided they were big enough to look after themselves at this age.  She is still with the turkeys and they go mental when they can't see her! 

Bootsy also likes chasing my 2 young Welsummer bantams and after the displaying today he might think they are fair game!!!   :unsure:

We were meant to be having a big family dinner this 25th December but that has now been cancelled as our daughter will be going to Oban from the Artic and not home.  They might end up being Easter turkeys, that is if they last that long with their antics.   :lol:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #91 on: October 11, 2012, 16:01 »
Don't keep them alive until Easter, they may be a bit tough.  Better to cull in Dec/Jan and freeze!

I had a customer 2 years ago who bought 2 of our turkeys.  One was supposed to be for Christmas and the other one was for easter, but her Mum was taken ill, so they had to freeze both of them!  :lol:

ANHBUC

« Reply #92 on: October 11, 2012, 17:33 »
Don't keep them alive until Easter, they may be a bit tough.  Better to cull in Dec/Jan and freeze!

I had a customer 2 years ago who bought 2 of our turkeys.  One was supposed to be for Christmas and the other one was for easter, but her Mum was taken ill, so they had to freeze both of them!  :lol:

They are only 8 weeks old now GA so when would you say would be the best time to cull for optimum meat that is at its best?

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #93 on: October 11, 2012, 18:54 »
8 weeks?  I thought they were the same age as our youngest ones which are 10 weeks now.  They will only be 19 weeks old by Christmas, but they were the replacement ones we got when so many of the others had the splayed legs.

I don't really know what breed yours are, but the commercial turkeys are optimum between 21 and 26 weeks.  If yours are a more traditional breed, then maybe slightly older?  But not by months, you want them nice and tender!

Like this!   ;) ;)

DSCF0038.jpg

ANHBUC

« Reply #94 on: October 11, 2012, 20:21 »
They hatched 14 August so 8 weeks and 3 days old.  Bootsy is a (male?) Pied and Snudge is a (female?) Bronze.  They will be 19 weeks old on 25 December so they should be fine for the New Year then.

I will be pleased as punch if they are as nice as yours GA.   :D

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #95 on: October 11, 2012, 22:28 »
Mmmmm, looking them up, you could get some good weights from them!  According to the Turkey Club of Great Britain, the pied stag could be between 16 and 22 lbs and the bronze hen between 14 and 26lbs!

Yummy!!!!!

That photo is of one of our White Plumpies.  Your bronze one won't look as 'clean' as that because there will always be little bits of stubble left which is more noticeable on coloured birds, but don't worry about it, she will still taste wonderful!  

Oh and you're right of course.  I thought ours were 10 and 12 weeks, but they aren't, they are 8 and 10!!!!!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 22:32 by GrannieAnnie »

ANHBUC

« Reply #96 on: October 11, 2012, 22:38 »
I am hoping they will let Dotty off her parental duties soon.  I will be able to get them more used to me then instead of just seeing me as something to run from.  I have managed to get Snudge to feed from my hand but not Bootsy.  They are not scared of our hens either they seem to hold their own.

Thinking of the stuffing and cranberry sauce already.  I need a good recipe for home made stuffing if anyone has one?

ANHBUC

« Reply #97 on: October 11, 2012, 22:39 »
So will the younger ones be ready in time for 25 December then GA?

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #98 on: October 11, 2012, 23:48 »
Well they won't be at their optimum weight, but as ours are really only for us and family, it doesn't really matter.

In fact one is going to an American who has had a thanksgiving turkey off us for the past 4 years.  So I will just pick out the biggest one I can find for him, but it only needs to feed about 6 people. 

He missed out last year when Brian sold all the turkeys at about the age these ones are now, and the poor man ended up in T**co!   :( :(

ANHBUC

« Reply #99 on: October 12, 2012, 00:25 »
He missed out last year when Brian sold all the turkeys at about the age these ones are now, and the poor man ended up in T**co!   :( :(

That might be me if they keep trying to self distruct!   ::) :lol:

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #100 on: October 12, 2012, 13:07 »
Ahhh, self destruct!  Yep that's turkeys alright!  What was it I read recently, turkeys are a suicide waiting to happen?    Oh yes!   And you said about them being childlike, they are, but don't underestimate them, they are very intelligent too!

Do you sing to them?  ours used to like me singing to them, even though I can't sing very well, and I used to try to imitate the noises they make.  But as they get older, when you've got quite a few like we had, they don't get too friendly.

But then you don't want to get too attached to them, or they won't be on the table, they'll be sitting on a chair next to you waiting for their dinner!!   :lol: :lol:

ANHBUC

« Reply #101 on: October 12, 2012, 13:48 »
Do you sing to them?  ours used to like me singing to them, even though I can't sing very well, and I used to try to imitate the noises they make. 

If I sang to them they would definitely try to commit suicide.   ::)  My singing voice is that bad I only sing in the car when I am on my own.  Oh, and when hubby is in the car if I want to annoy him!   :lol:

ANHBUC

« Reply #102 on: October 15, 2012, 16:28 »
They are really making themselves at home now! 
Turkey poults preening 004 (600 x 450).jpg

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #103 on: October 15, 2012, 17:05 »
Awww they are really getting on aren't they?

Forgot to ask, what are you feeding them on?  They shouldn't be on chicken food, but turkey grower by now. or rather rearer until 10 weeks then on to grower.

ANHBUC

« Reply #104 on: October 15, 2012, 18:37 »
I couldn't get turkey rearer so they have been on a mix of turkey chick crumb and turkey grower.  They eat loads of bugs in the garden and are so entertaining watching them stalk their prey.  Bootsy strokes the grass with his beak to get the bugs to fly off and then snatches them like a velociraptor. 

Hubby thinks they are really ugly so I said that he won't mind when its time for them to be dinner then!!   :ohmy:

xx
turkey eggs- how often does your turkey lay eggs?

Started by Oliveview on Chicken Chat

14 Replies
Last post March 20, 2011, 15:52
by massa
xx
Home-hatched copper-blue Marans eggs

Started by Casey76 on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post May 06, 2012, 18:13
by PaulineM
clip
What to do about Dotty

Started by Ema on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post May 26, 2020, 21:42
by grinling
xx
Dotty's first chicks

Started by ANHBUC on Chicken Chat

20 Replies
Last post May 23, 2012, 09:57
by j00les

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 39 queries.