Pressure cooker

• 23 Replies

stompy

Re: Pressure cooker
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2010, 13:54 »
Ha Ha,
That just brought back memorys  8)
I remember my mum doing just that with the wooden spoon and a tea towel when i was a kid.
Isn't it strange how the most simple things can bring back a long forgotten memory  :happy:

Trillium

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2010, 15:57 »
my memories of my mum using one are of her, with teatowel over her arm, the longest wooden spoon she had in her hand, standing at arms lenght from the pressure cooker trying to whack the wieght off the top   :lol:- probably why i hav#nt had one before :wacko: - i was scared using it for the first time - worried about the stew fountain that might erupt but so far so good

That's one of the main reasons people have accidents with pressure cookers - they try to take off the weight too soon. Once the item has cooked, you take the pot off the stove and leave it until all the air has hissed out  and the emergency valve deflates. Could take about 5 minutes. Once the emergency release valve deflates, then you can remove the weight (held in a potholder or oven mitt - it's HOT) and take off the pot lid.

If I'm in a real hurry, I hold a spoon to the weight and only slightly lift one side so that I get a slow hiss to gradually release the steam. This method takes about a minute. Once the steam is gone, proceed as above.

To remove the weight before releasing the steam is literally asking for an explosion as others above have described. Too much pressure suddenly released through a tiny hole is impossible to contain. Steam is something that must be respected, and if you do, you'll have no trouble. The first time I used mine, I sent the kids out of the kitchen in case there was an accident. I followed the instructions and haven't had an accident. 

JulieP

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2010, 16:32 »
If you need to remove the steam quickly, I hold the side of the cooker under running cold water (DO NOT LET THE WATER ANYWHERE NEAR THE WEIGHT), this releases it much quicker and you are not tempted to HELP it along (unless you have 3 hands!!!!!) ::)
I Love My Lottie, My own little hideaway and Gym:)

titch

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2010, 20:49 »
received from my mum today a spare gasket seal (just as well cos the one it came with did not seal properly  ??? ::)  ) and a pressure cooker booklet that came with my nans, pretty much the same as the one mum gave me...............has some pretty strange recipes in that i WONT be trying, but gives timings etc for all kinds of things so will prob use it more now
just keep breathing................

Poolfield2

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2010, 22:58 »
I'll listen out and hope I don't hear an explosion then :D

gypsy

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2010, 17:00 »
I use a combination of slow cooker to cook a stew all day while I am out and then pressure cooker to do the spuds and veg  in 4 mins when I get home. That gets the meal on the table quicker in an evening.
Catherine

Poolfield2

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2010, 18:58 »
Kind of hare and tortoise then :lol:

gypsy

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2010, 23:22 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: exactly. CC

Debz

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2010, 08:53 »
My mum blew the pressure bit off hers several years ago but carried on using the pot as a soup pot because it was pretty big.  Just before Christmas she damaged it (can't remember how) and said she would have to replace the pressure cooker.  My response was what for as you haven't used it with pressure in the last decade.  I bought her a stock pot for her wedding anniversary instead for soup and she was well chuffed.  I wouldn't have a pressure cooker either because they scare me witless.

question
Pressure Cooker v Pressure Canner

Started by Christina ABBOTT on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post August 05, 2020, 16:47
by Aunt Sally
xx
Preserving with a pressure cooker

Started by catllar on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post December 13, 2012, 17:11
by catllar
xx
Red cabbage - pressure cooker recipe

Started by Snoop on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post April 01, 2016, 10:30
by Snoop
xx
The difference between pressure cookers and pressure canners

Started by Snoop on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

36 Replies
Last post September 16, 2015, 08:09
by New shoot

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 40 queries.