Recipe : Glace Cherries

• 10 Replies

DanielCoffey

Recipe : Glace Cherries
« on: July 26, 2020, 12:43 »
RECIPE : GLACE CHERRIES

This recipe will use whatever fresh cherries you have available and will work with dark, sweet cherries as well as bright sour ones. Since I don't have a tree I just used whatever are in the shops in early July. I would say they were the sweet cherries as you could eat them raw without wincing.

Equipment Needed : Cherry Stoner, large pan, large sieve or colander. A food dehydrator is highly recommended but is optional.

Ingredients :

Cherries (any type) - 450g
Water - 570ml
Sugar - 750g

The recipe can be scaled up as much as you like. Using the suggested amount of cherries will yield about the same amount as you would find in a supermarket tub so I would suggest scaling up several times and using a larger pan.

Day 1 - Wash and pit 450g of cherries. Check all stones have been removed as there is a chance with a ripe cherry that it will get pushed sideways inside the fruit rather than down and out. Discard the stones.

Place the cherries in a medium saucepan with 570ml water. Heat to just before simmering for one minute. All you want to do is warm the water to soften the skins but not cook the fruit.

Drain the cherries and reserve all of the liquid. Return 425ml of the liquid to the pan and discard the excess. Add 250g of sugar and bring to a simmer to fully dissolve the sugar. Pour the hot syrup over the cherries, cover and leave 24h.

Day 2 - drain the cherries into a bowl and return the syrup to the pan. Add 60g sugar and simmer to dissolve. Pour hot syrup over cherries and leave 24h.

Day 3 - repeat Day 2.
Day 4 - repeat Day 2.
Day 5 - repeat Day 2.
Day 6 - repeat Day 2.
Day 7 - repeat Day 2.

Day 8 - Transfer all cherries and syrup to a medium saucepan. Add 85g sugar to the syrup without draining the cherries. Bring the cherries and syrup to a low simmer to dissolve sugar. Simmer for 3 minutes then set aside for two days.

Day 10 - Add remaining 55g sugar, simmer cherries and syrup for 3 minutes then set aside for 4 days.

Day 14 - Drain the heavy syrup from the cherries and keep it to put over ice cream and cakes. Spread the cherries out on a tray in a warm, dry place for 2-4 days or put in your dehydrator on 115F / 45C for 24h till slightly dried. They will remain slightly sticky and pliant.

They will not be bright red and they will not be in the sticky syrup that the supermarkets have got us used to.

Transfer the cherries to an airtight jar and keep in a cool dark place. They are ready to use immediately.

NOTE : The leftover cherry syrup is delicious over homemade vanilla ice cream, chocolate cakes, yoghurt and even porridge. Once you have put the cherries in the dehydrator, wash and warm some jam jars in the oven. Bring the cherry syrup to a brisk boil, allow to cool slightly. Skim off any scum then pour into the clean, hot jars. It will keep in a cool dark place exactly the same as jam.
FreshCherries.jpg
GlaceCherries.jpg

snowdrops

Re: Recipe : Glace Cherries
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 21:50 »
Hi Daniel, thank you for the update & pictures. Mine are due to come out of the syrup on Tuesday, there’s rather a lot of syrup isn’t there? I did quadruple the recipe as I had so many cherries. Did you put yours in tge dehydrator & if so how long for please? I’ve got one but not really used it. My batch has had a couple of extra days here & there on some of the ‘days’ as I ran out of time/forgot to do them but then did them first thing the next day but don’t think that should make a difference do you?
Thanks for adding about the syrup as I was wondering whether it would need water bathing. I aiming to give some of the cherries & possibly syrup as gifts at Christmas.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2020, 21:51 »
Ooh sorry saw you’ve added about the dehydrator, mine hasn’t got a temperature control though so I’ll just have to wing it  :lol:

DanielCoffey

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2020, 21:57 »
If (like me) you did a 4x batch then yes it is a lot of syrup. Mine exactly filled six 500ml Kilner Jars.

Once I took the cherries out I brought the syrup to a brisk boil (careful, it will rise in the pan as it comes to the boil) then transferred it to clean, heated jars while still very hot. There was a little scum which I skimmed off with a spoon, exactly as in jam making.

Taking a few extra days will be fine. It will have given it time to draw more of the water out. As long as you used the full amount of sugar by the end it will be good.

The dehydrator was at 115F 45C for two full daytimes but off overnight as I didn't want the noise. Total time at that temperature was 24h, split into two sessions. As long as you rotate the trays every few (6 or so) hours if it is a single temp dehydrator it will be fine.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 22:10 by DanielCoffey »

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 14:01 »
Thank you, yes all sugar was added. Forgot to post the photos I’ve done up to now !
7C538F48-5098-4E04-B589-74EE1B590A7A.jpeg
D7F8DA6C-ED98-489C-8FD6-BBBB35D3BE4C.jpeg
40F98A04-ADE3-418D-A40E-CA2FF0F54CCA.jpeg

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2020, 21:58 »
And here they are on their last day in the dehydrator & in their jars. I think maybe they had too long in tge dehydrator as some were going a bit wrinkly.
1DA17C5D-6AF7-415C-A7B2-E837C2FBAF26.jpeg
6CBD9F4D-BC6A-4B5F-936E-244E10A8D751.jpeg

DanielCoffey

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2020, 22:05 »
They are fine, don't worry. If they are a little too much like raisins when you want to use them, a short soak in with a splash of hot water (or brandy) will plump them up nicely.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2020, 22:23 »
They are fine, don't worry. If they are a little too much like raisins when you want to use them, a short soak in with a splash of hot water (or brandy) will plump them up nicely.
Cherry brandy or Amaretto  also work well  :D

snowdrops

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2020, 11:17 »
Both very good suggestions thank you. Really enjoyed making them & if I have as many cherries next year I will do them again if we use these up. I thought there’d be plenty for Christmas gifts but I think we might get through those 2 jars in a year. Just the syrup to process now. I’m going to do some of the cherries I froze in some, perhaps with a spirit in it & waterbath them & then will use the rest as a sauce as you suggest Daniel.
If I do them again next year do you think you could do more cherries in the same amount of water but maybe use more sugar as you end up with a big pan ful of liquid left over & if I doubled the quadrupled recipe I’d have gallons of the stuff?

DanielCoffey

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2020, 13:29 »
The recipe books with candied fruits all seem to use about that much liquid. Much of it has been drawn out of the cherries by the sugars.

If you just put the cherries into a super strong sugar solution you may end up only sucking it from of the outside edges of the fruit and leaving the middle too wet.

I would stick to the recipe and see what you can use the syrup for.

snowdrops

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2020, 17:01 »
Good points thank you.

xx
What to do with cherries?

Started by Casey76 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

11 Replies
Last post July 08, 2010, 20:14
by sloegin
xx
what to do with cherries?

Started by tetley on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post May 30, 2007, 11:00
by tetley
xx
Cherries

Started by Roy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post July 17, 2009, 14:10
by catllar
xx
Maraschino cherries

Started by chrissie B on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

0 Replies
Last post August 12, 2020, 21:10
by chrissie B

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 36 queries.