Red cabbage - pressure cooker recipe

• 2 Replies

Snoop

Red cabbage - pressure cooker recipe
« on: March 09, 2016, 16:53 »
The inspiration for this came from Lorna J. Sass's book Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure. Great book. No pictures but all the recipes I've made have been winners (I can't vouch for the okra recipes, as I'm not an okra fan).

I've altered Lorna Sass's spicing to match what we had and used balsamic rather than cider vinegar to help the colour. She also adds carrot, which I didn't. The minimum liquid for my pressure cooker (6 litre size) is 250 ml, so the 200 ml of juice plus the little bit of vinegar plus the water in the cabbage were OK. If your pressure cooker needs more liquid, adjust as required.

Red cabbage, finely shredded (I used one medium and one small one - gave us plenty for six generous servings)
1 tbsp oil
Thinly sliced onion (I used a couple)
200 ml of apple juice
2 tbsp vinegar of your choice
100 g of finely sliced or snipped dried apricots
Couple of star anise (I used whole ones rather than just petals, as mine are a bit old - star anise aren't easy to get hold of where I live - adjust according to your taste and spice freshness)
Cinnamon stick or ground cinnamon

Fry onion in oil for a few minutes with the star anise and cinnamon stick. Pile in the cabbage and dried apricots. Add the apple juice and vinegar and swirl a bit to mix. Put lid on and bring up to high pressure and cook at pressure for 4 minutes (I was dubious that this would be long enough, but it was). Release pressure quickly. And that's it.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
Re: Red cabbage - pressure cooker recipe
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 18:40 »
Wow, will have to dust off the cooker, that sounds delish.  :)

Snoop

Re: Red cabbage - pressure cooker recipe
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 10:30 »
We're having red cabbage again today. Mr Snoop owned up that he found this recipe a bit sweet, so I'm going to try again, swapping out the apple juice for a mixture of water with a bit of pomegranate molasses. A nice sweet-sour flavour and again good for the colour of the cabbage. Instead of the star anise, I might try a few whole cloves.

question
Pressure Cooker v Pressure Canner

Started by Christina ABBOTT on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post August 05, 2020, 16:47
by Aunt Sally
xx
Pressure cooker

Started by titch on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

23 Replies
Last post February 06, 2010, 08:53
by Debz
xx
Preserving with a pressure cooker

Started by catllar on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post December 13, 2012, 17:11
by catllar
xx
slow cooker recipe book?

Started by Muls on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

9 Replies
Last post May 17, 2014, 21:14
by chrissie B

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 38 queries.