Green tomatoes

• 5 Replies

Flowertot

Green tomatoes
« on: September 26, 2015, 10:34 »
My tomato plants were showing the early signs of blight so I picked all the fruit and disposed of the plants yesterday. There were a couple of fruits I wasn't sure about so I got rid of them but none had actually gone black. I am ripening some on the windowsill and am thinking of trying to make Val's green tomato chutney with the remaining very green ones but am unsure whether I should do that given that they came from plants with blight.  Will the chutney be safe to eat? Or should I throw them out?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Green tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 12:22 »
They'll be fine in chutney, just cut off any black bits  :)

Steveharford

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 12:30 »
Ive just harvested the best of mine from the couple of outdoor plants which have now got a lot of blight. The Incas show no sign of blight at all on the tomatoes, just the plants. I was wondering whether to leave the green ones on for longer but maybe chutney would be the right choice. Pics attached.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 12:31 by Steveharford »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 12:44 »
You'll find that blight patches continue to appear on some of the toms for a few days after picking - mine were picked on Wednesday and there are a few showing newly developed patches every day.

If you want them to ripen - then you'll lose some.
If they are going into green tomato chutney - then use them asap for maximum yield/weight.

Flowertot

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 18:13 »
Thank you  :)

Flowertot

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 23:43 »
Update: I made Val's green tomato chutney from the book today to use up all the remaining tomatoes.  :D :D :D Delicious. My 7 old loves it too even though my chillies have made it just a tad warm  :lol:

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 35 queries.