Different Breeds

• 10 Replies

foggle007

Different Breeds
« on: February 01, 2007, 10:43 »
I'm wondering what I should be looking for in respect of what Hens I should be getting? I keep looking at local adverts and I'm seeing lots of Bantams, Marans Rhode Island Reds. Whats a pullet? whats the difference with Bantams? Any clues, I'm so new to this.

Des C

Different Breeds
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 11:51 »
I'm only a beginner myself but like everyone have had to go through this process. There is a load of basic information on the various breeds on-line. Try the omlet website for a very basic outline. It is targetted at garden keepers like myself so gives information on size, need for space and egg production and suitability for urban settings.
Alternatively you can await the daily arrival of Muntjac who keeps us all on the straight and narrow with his no-nonsense advice. Take heed of his comments on housing too. I wish I had gone for a bigger set up from the start, but at least you're asking first.

Good luck
Des C

foggle007

Different Breeds
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 12:30 »
Thanks Des, It seems Muntjac is a legend on this sight. Good to have people to give genuine advice.

muntjac

Different Breeds
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 14:10 »
before you decide what birds you want can i ask what you want them for .meat eggs or both . bantams are smaller varieties of the bigger bid ie buff orpington bantam is a smaller version of the buff orpington .  for ease of keeping for eggs good old welsummers will do fine . for a bit of variety a buff orpingtons .and for cheekiness  buff orpington bantams . they all lay well and they eat good as well .i would suggest you start with these then graduate to different breeds for egg laying and then pure meat birds when you have become accustomed to keeping birds . oh and yes i am a welsummer fan along with buffs .  good idea is to read through ALL the posts by the chicken posters in poutlry pages . im not a legend im just a keeper who doesnt like to have to sit and read a whole load of bull dodo before you get the information you want. check out the other sites on keeping birds as well some of the info is very very good . some is good and then there's the bull dodo .. happy chickens are healthy chickens enjoy
still alive /............

klawler

Different Breeds
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 17:10 »
What sites do you reccomend muntjac

Kevin
Swansea Jack

muntjac

Different Breeds
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 17:37 »
i dont recommend mate ,i just ask you to search for your self and make your own choice and use of the of information you read and accept , search chicken keeping /keeping chickens and poultry keeping
 hope that helps . if you want to read an author i have time for look in the poultry books on this site or your library  for katie thear .

klawler

Different Breeds
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 18:08 »
Cheers mate

I used to keep 000s of chickens and farm in Rhodesia/zimbabwe and just wondered what you thought.

After years of not bothering have just got a large allotment 12 m x 40m and am again excited by growing crops and chickens

Thanks a lot

Kevin

muntjac

Different Breeds
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 20:14 »
your welcome matey and if  if ya had loads of them matey you probably know more than me . incidently have a pal nth joburg farms carrot seed ,

sorrel

• Experienced Member
Different Breeds
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 20:55 »
Hi, concerning what type of chicken you are after! It does not matter, pick anything you like, double the size of housing, at least (you shall see why later). Use your god given common sense and enjoy, chickens will take care of themselves with a little help from you.
Good luck, from the Hubby.
Starting from scratch............

MontyTom

• Experienced Member
Different Breeds
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 21:25 »
If you want  'cure all' book, try  Complete Encyclopedia of Chickens
by Esther Verhoef-Verhallen.  I was given a copy and it is excellent, and it covers everything.  I have also got a few Katie Thear books but think the former is much better value for money.  Katie Thear books are good but you have to buy several different ones to get the same coverage.

klawler

Different Breeds
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2007, 09:19 »
Thanks for that chaps

Kevin

xx
Are all Large Breeds Broody Breeds?

Started by Colernehens on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 22, 2011, 22:09
by uba
xx
how many different breeds

Started by babe on The Hen House

32 Replies
Last post May 05, 2008, 23:01
by mumsy
xx
What breeds do you have and which do you think are the best?

Started by lucyeff on The Hen House

33 Replies
Last post October 24, 2007, 20:34
by Fenland Girl
xx
breeds

Started by miller15 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 22, 2009, 22:11
by Foxy

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 35 queries.