Cat left 'present' in kitchen but its still alive!! help!

• 5 Replies

dilsdaisy

Pants the cat , has progressed in his old age from catching the odd butterfly to this evening dropping a baby rabbit thru the cat flap then legging it!!

the poor thing isn't dead but obviously very shocked, is breathing, eyes open, lying on its side and occasionally moving its legs like its trying to get away ... appreciate its nature but why couldn't he have killed it !

What do I do now ??.. have covered him with tea towel  (not sure why but that was the first thing that came into my head !! )and locked the cat flap , have a box and some hay/sawdust etc so shall I lift him into that ?? or should I either let the cat in to 'finish' its job or go and fetch the neighbour to do 'the deed' ( husband away as per usual when there is an animal related crisis!!)
1x Light Sussex, 1 x Brahma, 1x Buff Orpington, 2 x cats , 2 x guinea pigs, 4 x kids , 1 x husband

8doubles

Re: Cat left 'present' in kitchen but its still alive!! help!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 18:51 »
Don`t let it suffer ,get the neigbour. Failing that a sharp tap on the head with a garden trowel will end his troubles.Not nice but needs do be done fast.

dilsdaisy

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 19:18 »
neighbour out  :( wife said he will be back in 20 mins , rabbit now the right way up and huddled in corner of kitchen so put it in the box ..do you still think I am best doing the trowel option?

MoreWhisky

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 20:13 »
After reading this my wife and i feel lucky our offered rabbit last week was dead!

Good Luck
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

dilsdaisy

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 20:29 »
thanks , maybe your cat could give mine a few pointers in finishing off  :unsure:

Neighbour been and had a look and reckons we should give it a chance as he is fairly chipper,  eating a bit of grass (the rabbit that is not the neighbour) and sitting up doing rabbit things etc ... need to release it really but think I will get up early in the morning to give it its best chance ? in a box in the shed overnight ..will see what tomorrow brings!

still not speaking to Pants  >:(

maxyboo

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 20:57 »
Thank goodness! I just read this thread and was worried the neighbour might just kill it.  If there is no obvious injury then I think he deserves a fighting chance. If he is old enough to be eating on his own he should be able to survive. I work at a sanctuary and we have had several little rabbit presents in our time. If they appear uninjured and come around from the shock we either release them straightaway or feed them for a day or two if needed.
Keep him somewhere dark, quiet  and warm but not where he will get too hot shut in his box. The shed sounds good.  Obviously he needs air holes, a bit of hay/straw to cosy up in and some grass to nibble. A shallow dish of water would be good but if the dish is light he might knock it over.
Be aware that if he is in a cardboard box he might chew his way out before morning. Also, wild bunnies have a nasty habit of appearing fine and then just keeling over so don't be surprised if he dies in the night. You can only do your best. Sounds like you are on top of things after your initial panic.  blooming cats.  Why do we have them?

xx
lucky to be alive

Started by dizzylizzie on Pets without Feathers

0 Replies
Last post May 27, 2010, 18:28
by dizzylizzie
xx
Rosie's first birthday present.

Started by joyfull on Pets without Feathers

7 Replies
Last post December 08, 2012, 15:44
by Trillium
xx
buddys Christmas present hijacked

Started by karlooben on Pets without Feathers

4 Replies
Last post December 28, 2009, 22:22
by IMOmimey

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 38 queries.