Culling - Which way?

• 8 Replies

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
Culling - Which way?
« on: August 12, 2009, 09:42 »
Which would be the quickest and kindest way to cull a 13 wk old cockerel (who is a nasty bit of work).

There are so many methods.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 15:27 by noshed »

hillfooter

Re: Which way?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 14:23 »
There's a sticky in this forum with copious details and photo's of how to wring their necks.  It basically consists of severing their spinal cord from their heads.  If however you've never done this and don't feel confident in your resolve get someone who is experienced to show you.  When it needs to be done it is best it is done well.

For anyone reading this who has not encountered this problem aggressive cockerels are a menace and can be dangerous.  My daughter is still nervous around cockerels 10yrs after being attacked in her 20's.  Fortunately she escaped with cuts to her face which healed though it just missed her eyes.  Once they start this behaviour I've never succeeded in eliminating it entirely and I've tried all the standard advice such as holding them down, dousing/dunking in water/ showing them who's boss (the most cruel and futile approach).  The trick if you can do it is to nip it early in the bud and don't trigger this developing by inadvertent behaviour.  Below from my experience some basic rules to apply when a cockerel is running with hens.
1   Handle him as well as the hens from an early age.
2   When hand feeding, offer the food to the cockerel first and let him drop the first morsels for the hens.  Note his head bobbing behaviour and picking up the food and dropping it for them.  This reinforces his position as the provider and stops him seeing you trying to usurp his role.
3   Most developing behaviour starts with him knocking against the back of your leg to test your reaction and gradually becomes bolder.   Don’t square up to him but face him and if he shows aggression try to be as passive as possible.  Try not to turn your back and make sure he knows you are watching him and he generally won’t attack.
4   Check that a pair of colourful boots, flapping tongues or trousers isn’t a trigger.
5   Don’t kick him as this is guaranteed to encourage him to reciprocate.
6   Don’t appear to be luring away his harem.  Indeed any behaviour which makes you appear to be a rival should be avoided.
7   If all else fails you can try the more dominating tactics if you like, or put up with it, though don’t expect a neighbour to look after them, or cull him as a danger.
Not every cockerel is sure to become aggressive though a high proportion (30 – 40%) can.
Regards
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 14:27 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

oddpaws

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 14:34 »
I was told that if you have an aggresive cockerel the best way to deal with it is if poss pick it up and cuddle it just as it looks likely to launch at you. I have treid this and it did work but works better in my experience the younger you can get them. It seems to me that it is the last thing they are expecting and it kind of throws them off balance.

That said, I am far from an expert but can only tell what seems to have worked for me.

hope it helps a bit, we have a nasty fellow at the moment that we inhereted and is too old really now to do this with as it would be dangerous, I now carry a stick with me, not to hit him with but to just guide him away from anyone who goes in. Its working so far :wub:
a mum is for life..not just for cleaning! ;@)

hillfooter

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 15:40 »
Yes giving him a cuddle is a good idea and one tactic I used to try was catching the bird and giving him a stroke as he flew in to attack.  That certainly surprises them and they don't understand that.

They like to attack when they think you're unprepared so don't turn your back and having a stick to ward then off will deter attacks though probably won't cure them.  I think you're right with your old boy you won't change him now.

Regards
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 15:44 by hillfooter »

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 18:49 »
Thank you Hillfooter, that's useful :) advice.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Vi

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 09:31 »
Geeze, Good to know. i hadn't even thought about aggressive behaviour.  We've been handling our little one as well as the girls so hopefully we can deter any aggressive behaviourl.   If not, it'll be the cooking pot at some stage. 

Thank you for bringing this up.

Vi

kimT

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 12:52 »
Thanks for all your advice and we used the broom stick method to cull which was extremely quick.

I have searched for the link on culling but can't find it ??? 

Can anyone help please.

Thank you.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 12:56 by kimT »

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 13:01 »
Music self played is pleasure self made
Samantha :)

kimT

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 14:17 »
Thank you ...............need to get me eyes checked! ::)

sad
culling

Started by drumcrow on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 11, 2010, 15:44
by drumcrow
xx
culling

Started by hermon on The Hen House

30 Replies
Last post November 17, 2007, 14:09
by Aunt Sally
xx
culling

Started by storme37 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 27, 2011, 00:54
by SnooziSuzi
xx
Culling a chick

Started by grinling on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post June 04, 2013, 20:38
by grinling

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 37 queries.