Broad bean seed position - which way up?

• 12 Replies

greenhead

• Experienced Member
Broad bean seed position - which way up?
« on: January 19, 2015, 12:14 »
Hi, I am sure this has been asked before - but I always plant the bean on its side and get poor germination so this time will ask the question.  Is it the same for runner bean seed?

Mike.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Broad bean seed position - which way up?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 12:27 »
I just dibble a hole in the ground and drop the bean in. I've no idea which way it lands but I have very few spaces in my bean row.

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 12:28 »
I work on the principle that if nature has designed a seed to lay on its side so be it .

Never had a problem with seed started in the greenhouse in pots but outside in the ground is another matter !

I believe that if conditions are right and the seed is good it will grow any side up ! :)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 12:32 »
They germinate in nature, regardless of how they fall, but that involves the root/shoot having to potentially start growing "from the wrong end" or some turning of the seed.

I doubt it matters much, perhaps not even a jot, but in very narrow containers, such as root trainers, there can be a lack of space for turning, and moisture may not be even through the compost such that the "scar" is not in good contact with moisture (planting at a bit of depth helps).

So on that basis :) there might be some merit in planting scar-down so that the root, as it emerges, is going the right way from the outset, and it may also help in reducing rotting.  That said, Beans tend to germinate at 100% or so near as to make no odds. Far more risk of Mice etc. stealing them than germination failure ... although rot is a risk if they are too wet prior to germination.

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 12:39 »
Also if the weather is wet slugs will eat the shoots before they reach the surface.

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 14:09 »
Bung it in Gungadin!  :)

Although this has backfired on me but they do show UP eventually. Mine grew through the bottom of the bog rolls instead of out the top. Just to bamboozle me. They know best  :D

Mattgregory27

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 14:12 »
I tent to chit mine on damp kitchen roll before planting them out then I can see which way to plant them as soon as the shoot is visible. It has had good results for me and the plants are up quicker than putting the seed in the ground dry.

compostqueen

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 14:16 »
Good plan!  I love doing that. It's like being back at primary school  :D

Liverpool Brick

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 15:32 »
I sowed 12 Witkiem Manita broad beans in pots in the autumn and just for the hell of it sowed 4 down, 4 up and 4 on their side and guess what? . . . . .all 12 sprouted at exactly the same time! Does that help? Doubt it.
Andy  :D
Plant it and it will grow.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 15:35 »
If you do chit them first be aware that the first thing to show is the root, so make sure it's pointing down when you sow it (although horizontal wouldn't delay it for long and is probably easier and less likely to damage it.)

The young root is a delicate thing so sow as soon as you see them - same goes for runner beans.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2015, 15:39 »
Often when I've planted beans in pots the roots have made their way to the surface before they've managed to turn downwards - it don't half look weird  :wacko: I just put some compost over the exposed roots.
The shoot makes its way to the surface with no problem  :)

Agatha

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2015, 16:02 »
I've always planted with the 'scar' on the side and the bean on its end instead of flat, as the head gardener who taught me said it reduced the risk of rotting...no idea if it's true or not, but as it's as easy to sow one way as the other, I've kept doing it.
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

Tom Hill

• Experienced Member
  • Mastiff Lover
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2015, 23:06 »
Nature always produces a lot more seed than needed to ensure the survival of the plant.  Gardeners do not relish one in ten of their precious bean seed germinating so put them in the way Agatha suggests.
Sometimes it is better to keep your mouth shut and be suspected of knowing nothing than opening it and proving it.

xx
Buying pea / broad bean seed by the kilo

Started by ben on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 29, 2009, 19:10
by DD.
question
Runner bean seed directly in ground and plant root/seed attacks

Started by harwood7pccc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 04, 2010, 17:26
by diggerjoe
xx
Which broad bean?

Started by Elaine G on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post September 04, 2014, 12:27
by Snoop
xx
Broad bean HELP!!

Started by Ruth Cross on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post March 04, 2008, 10:55
by agapanthus

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 37 queries.