Calling all duck keepers

• 4 Replies

Jane-M

• Experienced Member
Calling all duck keepers
« on: May 03, 2011, 11:09 »
My cayugas have built a lovely nest in the corner of their house and now have 12 eggs in it previously they have laid their eggs in a variety of places, including quite randomly in the middle of the pen!But neither of them is showing any interest in sitting. They are only 10 months old and have been laying since early January. Are they simply too young to go broody? When should I give up and start taking the eggs away?
3 o'clock is both too early and too late to start anything - Sartre said so.

Kate and her Ducks

Re: Calling all duck keepers
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 12:48 »
I'm not sure about the mothering ability of Cayugas as mine is a male! His offspring have never shown the slightest hint of broodiness though. My ducks even when not broody (and only one has ever been really broody) tend to build a neat little scrape where they all lay.

Are they still laying?
It might be worth taking away the older eggs before they spoil as more than 12 will be a lot for them to cover even if they do go broody.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 14:15 »
We recently gave our ducks to a friend, but until then, they did used to use a neat nest in the corner of their house.

However, ducks are notoriously lousy at sitting on their eggs and so I know that people often give the eggs to a broody hen instead.  Not sure what the implications of this are after they've hatched though...........!

Jane-M

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 18:51 »
Yes they did make a little scrape quite often, but rarely in the same place every day! This nest is a new departure. Cayugas are reputed to be good broodies and mothers so I have my fingers crossed. However my old legbar should be broody soon and she can sit on a bunch for me - she's bomb proof.

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 09:35 »
We recently gave our ducks to a friend, but until then, they did used to use a neat nest in the corner of their house.

However, ducks are notoriously lousy at sitting on their eggs and so I know that people often give the eggs to a broody hen instead.  Not sure what the implications of this are after they've hatched though...........!

Ihave friends who have a hen that has raised 3 small broods of ducks. They make good mothers but do go demented when the ducklings go for a swim!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
calling all duck people urgent advice needed please

Started by Kathie on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 02, 2012, 00:21
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Wyandotte keepers?

Started by peggyprice on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 28, 2008, 22:36
by peggyprice
xx
Chicken keepers and Rats.

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post May 25, 2009, 22:43
by Tazzy
xx
Questions from a newbie to the more experienced keepers...

Started by GerryOB on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 08, 2010, 12:54
by Jeanette

Page created in 0.282 seconds with 38 queries.