Chicken keepers and Rats.

• 20 Replies

mad mark

• Experienced Member
Re: Chicken keepers and Rats.
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2009, 08:51 »
Two months down the line and no rats to be seen yet. Just keeping the run and shed clean and I have put down some rat poison in plastic pipes under the shed and none of it has been taken yet apart from a few slugs who seem to slide down and die on it. Its well out of the way of the run so should be no problem if we do get a rat. Our garden is surrounded by stone walls and there is no food left out in the run so quite secure and devoid of food for rats.
 :)
Mad Mark

Tazzy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2009, 21:59 »
On the subject of posion - can anyone help on this please. We did have problems with a rat and Putting the poison down its burrow, then sealing it up worked as we found it dead in the run a few days later. We did put a fair sprinkling of it in any burrows found in the run and also sealed them over. What happens to any uneaten poison? Does it rot down into the soil or does it go off after a while. Worried in case any of mine were to scratch it up even though it's a few inches down; haven't seen any surface as yet.

Tazzy

Spadefighter

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2009, 22:27 »
Im no expert but a pest controller told me that the poison becomes less deadly with age and should be got rid of, so as not to give ratty a non lethal dose and put him off eating the stuff. Best only put it where you are able to retrieve it in other words.

Tazzy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2009, 22:31 »
I'll go round checking tomorrow - thanks for that. Any idea what symptoms would be displayed if one of my girls was to eat any?

poultrygeist

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2009, 22:31 »
I would imagine it'll take quite a while for it to break down to a safe enough level. Also a danger if you get a lot of rain and flooding.
Hope all is ok.

Rob 8)

Tazzy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2009, 22:43 »
Yes, fingers crossed. It's mainly coloured blue, bit like slug pellets, but can't take the chance of anything being eaten by them

xx
Rats in my compost bin - Chicken related

Started by Ben_H on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post March 02, 2012, 13:11
by kegs
xx
Wyandotte keepers?

Started by peggyprice on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 28, 2008, 22:36
by peggyprice
xx
rats .rats and more blooming rats

Started by muntjac on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post March 06, 2007, 11:40
by muntjac
xx
Calling all duck keepers

Started by Jane-M on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 04, 2011, 09:35
by Sassy

Page created in 0.253 seconds with 39 queries.