New to chickens!

• 10 Replies

Susan

New to chickens!
« on: June 18, 2008, 17:47 »
Hi
We are about to take delivery of our hen house (in a week) and two silkies (mid July)
Any advice/tips/recommendations (house and hens) would be most welcome!  :roll:

CMFAM

• Experienced Member
New to chickens!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 18:52 »
HELLO :D , Welcome to the hen house

clare

Porffor

New to chickens!
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 18:58 »
Welcome! :) What sort of tips and house are you looking for / getting?

poultrygeist

New to chickens!
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 18:59 »
Hi Susan,

Do you plan free ranging or will they be in an enclosed run ?

Rob

Susan

new to chickens!
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 17:32 »
Hi
Thanks for your replies.
The chickens will be enclosed (house and run) but will be out free ranging in the garden most days with me!

We were looking at 2 silkies (the house can take up to 6 hens but being beginners, we only want two at the moment)

I've been told that I should look at keeping buff orpingtons instead as the eggs are better and more importantly, they are more child-friendly (we have a young child) but trying to find a breeder/supplier in the Cheshire area is proving challenging! - Unless anyone knows differently?

We want to make sure that everything is just right so our immediate queries are:

Buff Orpingtons v Silkies :?:
Feed - best type :?:
Housing - can we take any additional precautions to keep out foxes :?:  
Neighbours - sounds silly, but between these two types, is one type 'more quiet' when it comes to rosey than the other?! :roll:
Thanks!

Foxy

Re: new to chickens!
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 17:47 »
Quote from: "Susan"
Hi
queries are:

Buff Orpingtons v Silkies :?:
Feed - best type :?:
Housing - can we take any additional precautions to keep out foxes :?:  
Neighbours - sounds silly, but between these two types, is one type 'more quiet' when it comes to rosey than the other?! :roll:
Thanks!

Orpies are lovely docile hens I have one and shes lovely. Would be good to get one(or any bird) from a reputable breeder who has been handling the birds from hatch. Silkies are super, but do go broody at the drop of a hat which means no eggies! Cochins are lovely too and recommended with children very similar to orps but with large fluffy feet -shame you are not closer as I have some available.
Feed -at laying age 18weeks+ a good quality layers pellet from feed stores should be their staple diet (check expiry date on e bag will last a long time with just 2 chooks)with a handful each mixed corn in the afternoon as a treat. Other treats are grapes, tomatoes etc. they love left over cooked vegetables as well!
Housing -check that the catches are strong and robust, doors close properly. The run is made of small guage weld mesh and either dug into the ground or shaped to form a "skirt" this is to prevent the fox digging to get into the run. Walk around and think "how would you get in there?" if you can find a way then so can the fox.
Neighbours and chooks -should be fine without a cockerel -they can make a big of a cluck when laying an egg, but this is only for a couple of minutes and obviously just once a day! :lol:  :lol:
Finally you might be better getting 3 birds as they are a sociable flock animal, and if you lose one the other will be very miserable!

FCG

New to chickens!
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 18:13 »
Hello susan! Welcome and i hope you get your hands on a silkie. I'm going to the breeder in frodsham, they don't have any silkies i think but after i go next week i'll tell you.

Where are you in cheshire?

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
New to chickens!
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 18:51 »
Silkies are lovely, very gentle and happy to be handled. I have black ones which are gorgeous but the browns are pretty as well. The whites always look grubby to me but then they all just love dust baths and muck!! Silkies do go broody but actually this is when they're the most cuddly! Also good if you want to have chicks later as you'll have no probs with silkie mums! Mine lay small eggs but they're fantastic with lovely yellow yolks.

You say you're getting 2 to tart with, just my opinion but I wouldn't get less than 3 in case you lose one. Also, if you're getting a mixture of sizes, get the little ones first so they stake their claim before the big girls arrive, less bullying!

I have a couple of little bantams and they're lovely, very feisty and proper little characters and very bpretty partridge colours as well.

Good luck,

Judi :wink:

Susan

Thanks!
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 18:54 »
Thanks so much for the advice and tips!
We were in Winchester this weekend, staying with someone who has 6 chickens of various types!
She suggested 3 (not two) so thank you for that advice.  She also suggsted buff orpingtons - we live in Cheshire - does anyone know a breeder/supplier they can recommend?

FCG

New to chickens!
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2008, 18:59 »
As promised i would say :- they don't keep orpingtons. However while there they did point out a bantam hen & cockerel to me while there.

chickpea87

New to chickens!
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2008, 20:47 »
Hello!

I am now the proud owner of four lovely ex batts, first time chicken keeper so thinking there will be some silly questions ahead!

Here is the first few- with their food and water, should I close it in with them at night? And what is a good time to put them in and take them out on a daily basis? Also, as they are so bald (requested the most bald ones, sucker for worse for wear animals!) they do peck a little, I noticed some blood (not much) but enough that I wondered how to treat it (i.e antibacterial powder). Finally, what products should I have in my Chook First Aid kit? Any recommendations are greatly appreciated  :D

xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503
xx
chickens attacking chickens

Started by mill-owner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 17:26
by mill-owner
xx
i want chickens, but..........

Started by neenyneen on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post April 03, 2011, 20:36
by rachelr

Page created in 0.261 seconds with 38 queries.