For how long can you keep a chicken on her own?

• 5 Replies

SusieB

• Experienced Member
For how long can you keep a chicken on her own?
« on: October 09, 2010, 08:01 »
I am now down, very sadly, from six chickens to one.  The last two died within a week of each other, so may have had a virus and the vet has suggested I don't get Vera a new buddy for a while. 

Vera (ex-batt probaly about 3-years-old) has breathing problems following a couple of infections.  She is happy at the moment but would proably not cope with any illness.

Because of work, I struggle to look after chickens in the winter, and worrying about the ill ones, trips to the vet and the sadness when they die has worn me out.  I would like to have a break till next spring but I'm sure this is not fair to Vera.

I don't think there is an answer/solution but thought I will post this anyway.

Bantymad

• Experienced Member
Re: For how long can you keep a chicken on her own?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 08:51 »
Hi Susie, sounds like you have had a rough time, i know how attatched we all become to our pets. It maybe best to to concider how pourley vera is and weather it would be best to let her go now, give yourself a breather over winter and re asses in spring to se if you want to have more then. You can have a good think about weather you realy have the time in winter and in summer, and you will need more time in winter than summer so you may dicide against it. Best wishes.

bantam novice

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 08:54 »
Hello Susie, you have a real dilemma.  I'm so sorry to hear about your girls.  It must be really difficult for you.  I have no advice but just a gut feeling that chickens are flock animals and need company.  I wish you all the best.  Keep us posted
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 11:42 »
Thanks to you both. 

I can't put Vera down, as she seems very happy.  She gets out of breath if she runs, but it doesn't seem to bother her.  She's busy gorging on worms at the moment, and she always managed to bully her way to more than her fair share of treats when the other hens were alive.

I think the hens were ok over winter, it was more me worrying.  They have a 4m x 6m fixed run, but  I like to give them a  bit of a free-range everyday, because this is what they're used to.  Because of the short-days in winter I couldn't do this everyday.  They seemed to be less bothered about going out when it was cold because there were less bugs and worms to be found.  Is this ok for chickens?  What sort of extra time is needed in the winter?

I've got to wait to see Vera doesn't become ill (I have no idea how long).  If she survives, what if I got a bantem (or two) to keep her company, then some ex-batts next year?  How will she take to a new chicken (even though I'm getting it for her)?  Is there a good age to get chicks to mix in with my one hen?
Any suggestions gratefully received.

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 12:01 »
Could you not give her to a loving home who could quarentine her for a while just incase. But she would be on her own at home  anyway so no issue there.   then you can have a rest and vera can live??? 
"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it."

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 12:15 »
if the others had a virus then it would be best you don't get more until you know that she hasn't also got it  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
how long can i keep a chicken on her own ?

Started by grumpydad on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 12, 2010, 20:34
by joyfull
xx
How long will my chicken be broody?

Started by Tartuffe on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 15, 2010, 15:16
by pjarty
xx
how long to leave chicken on eggs??

Started by ellie01 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 10, 2011, 04:26
by ellie01
xx
point of lay chicken suppliers near long eaton. any ideas

Started by craig1981 on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post May 18, 2009, 15:29
by craig1981

Page created in 0.281 seconds with 37 queries.