need help chosing a poly tunnel please

• 7 Replies

goose

• Experienced Member
need help chosing a poly tunnel please
« on: February 21, 2019, 16:23 »
 im thinking of getting a small poly tunnel for my plot (3x2M).  I wandered around the allotments today to see what other people have and there was a wide variety of quality but unfortunately noone was on the plots to ask where they purchased them from.

the things I have established so far that I would like is something with a strong frame and a door and wont get blown away in the windy weather (providing i dig it in the ground, i suppose) and not too expensive (i dont want much....i know :lol:)

are there any particular brands that you knowledgeable folk would recommend/avoid?

any help and tips would be really appreciated :D

rowlandwells

Re: need help chosing a poly tunnel please
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 17:22 »
although I've had poly tunnels for around twenty years ours are  commercial tunnels but we decided to buy a small poly tunnel for the allotments unfortunately its still in the box never had time to put it up last year because or illness i looked up the same tunnel and a 7ft /10 all singing and dancing will set you back £128.00+PP 

now when i get round to putting it up shortly I'm not going to dig it in the ground i will be putting it on top of the ground when i have leveled  the ground some have anchor pionts on the cover that you can secure the poly tunnel to the ground with a cable i personally will put a scafold net over the tunnel and secure that to the ground it will never move if secured properly and most covers have side vents you can open when it gets hot not sure of the poly cover life though?

also this site did have poly tunel suppliers but i dont know if they do a small tunell like you want i can't tell you my supplier as its agaist site rules but have a look on line see whats on offer hope this info helps you and good luck buying your poly tunnel

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 17:55 »
I use Premier Polytunnels in Barnoldswick. Always found them helpful and at realistic prices

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 20:59 »
thank you both for your replies.  I really appreciate it.  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 08:48 »
Northern polytunnels do some basic allotment tunnels Low-Cost DIY Allotment Polytunnel - Northern Polytunnels

The cheaper green mesh plastic covered ones, sold elsewhere, should be avoided IMO as the covers only last a couple of years, before they need to be replaced. Proper tunnel covers last 5 years or more, so mybe more expensive in the first place, but worth it overall :)

Plot94

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 17:19 »
It is definitely worth checking ebay for a second hand one. I brought two this way for a fraction of the cost of a new one. One of them I needed to buy a new cover for, got it on ebay for £50, reckon it will last at least 5 years. The other cover was ok so got used, it has been on for 5 years now and was at least 7 years old when I got it, I just patch up the hole the seagulls make each year with repair tape  :D. One is a Northern polytunnel the other is from First polytunnels, both are excellent quality and I would recommend either. Good luck with whatever you choose  :)

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2019, 21:38 »
I got mine from First Tunnels. Not dug in, but fixed to a frame, which clamps down onto a sleeper base. Decided to do it this way as when the poly will need replacing (currently on Y4) it will be much easier to do.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

NettleBed

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2019, 19:47 »
Last year I had one of those tunnels with the green type covers, well, did have until the wind ripped it apart and bent the frame to a twisted mess. The tubes were only about 13mm dia. I have since bought one from northern tunnels, a diy version I haven't put it up yet but the tubes are much more substantial at 32mm.

xx
new poly tunnel

Started by jambop on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

8 Replies
Last post November 21, 2016, 08:51
by jambop
xx
New poly tunnel

Started by bobsbooth on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

3 Replies
Last post September 25, 2012, 19:27
by shokkyy
xx
Poly tunnel?

Started by snowdrops on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

13 Replies
Last post January 14, 2018, 22:41
by Dev
xx
New poly tunnel

Started by veggies on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

6 Replies
Last post March 31, 2015, 22:23
by sonnycbr

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 49 queries.