New to this forum? Not sure how to do things? Check out the help

Hello from another new person ... but from France

• 2 Replies
Hello from another new person ... but from France
« on: August 03, 2020, 11:05 »
Hi Thanks for letting me join.

I have lived in France for quite a few years and until last Autumn we were in the south, where gardening was somewhat different.  Successful in many ways but in others a little more hit and miss.   Now in Normandy where the growing is more let's say we say, English.  Runners less tough, parsnips and swede more commonplace etc.    Can still grow a vine peaches and figs too, so a bit of a mix between the southern heat and more temperate north.

I've been bottling fruit for quite a while now, and am just about to venture into bottling veggies from my new veg patch.    I'm still testing the growability of the soil, but it's going well.    I will have a glut of beans of course!  My veg patch will be expanding next year as this year was very much a tester.   So I've just invested in a 10 litre pressure cooker, as you say on the site, the big American ones are a bit cost prohibitive for a beginner.    So has anyone been using pressure cookers to can up veggies or does everyone have the monster American ones?   Also the American sites state that it's not safe to use a domestic pressure cooker for canning, is this just marketing hype?           

Would love to share experiences with canning/bottling. 

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Hello from another new person ... but from France
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 11:14 »
Lovely to meet you, Christina.

You home in Normandy sounds wonderful, best of both climates.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Hello from another new person ... but from France
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 21:35 »
Welcome to the site Christine  :)

If you pop your general location into your forum profile, we'll remember whereabouts you are!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
New person

Started by Aplot on Welcome to the Forums

5 Replies
Last post November 18, 2019, 11:20
by New shoot

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 42 queries.