Neck moult or not? Help please......

• 4 Replies

300AJC

• My other pet's a Land Rover!
Neck moult or not? Help please......
« on: August 22, 2012, 08:26 »
One of my hens hasn't had any feathers around her neck for months now, other than that she is fine. She is one of five chicken I have, all of which have been wormed recently and undergone a course of antibiotics as she and another had a cough a few months ago.

She doesn't get bullied, she feeds and drinks with the others and apart from being a bit timid in comparison seems totally fine. As far as I know she is one of the girls that lays. Other than looking a bit tatty is there anything that could be done or shouldn't I worry.

Thanks,

Andrew
6 chickens, 1 Land Rover

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Neck moult or not? Help please......
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 08:55 »
how old is she? Also can she reach through any wire or bars to peck at any grass/plants? Have you checked for mites and lice?
Staffies are softer than you think.

Prod

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 08:58 »
I have had the same problem with my Black Tailed Columbian, Margo. At first I thought she was pushing through wire or something. Then I noticed when they were all lay down sunbathing in a dust bath, the Bluebell, Ronnie,  gently plucking at Margo's neck. Margo didnt seem distressd by it at all but I sprayed her with purple spray just in case and started giving them all Poultry Spice with their layers pellets.  Ive not seen Ronnie doing it again so it may just have been a one off.  They all seem to love the poultry spice and the feathers on my Ancona's bum have grown back after months of being bald. (see Zsa Zsa Update).

300AJC

• My other pet's a Land Rover!
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 11:28 »
how old is she? Also can she reach through any wire or bars to peck at any grass/plants? Have you checked for mites and lice?

They are exbattery hens so it's hard to tell their age, she's as old as the others I guess. I had her as onto f a pair less than a year ago. She's in a large aviary with the others and roams the garden to. She can't get her head through any wire and has identical living conditions to the others.

They get a good clean out every week, the coop is spraying to alleviate any mites and lice. She's a one off!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 16:44 »
As you have had her about a year it would make her about 2.5 years old (farmers get rid of them at around 72 weeks as after that their shells become thinner, often wrinkly and they also can start to lay less eggs a week. She could be starting with her moult but please do check around her vent and under her wings for mites and lice. Just treating your coop will not eradicate them off your bird - normally you treat the coop to eradicate red-mites which live in the coop and just feed of the bird but do not live on the bird.

xx
neck moult-how long for regrowth?

Started by rosie14 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 10, 2012, 20:56
by rosie14
xx
injured silkie (twisted neck/wry neck)

Started by injured silkie on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post January 27, 2011, 17:24
by ShoeGirl
xx
The Big Moult

Started by francais on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 25, 2011, 01:46
by Lindeggs
xx
After the moult

Started by ghost61 on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post October 15, 2014, 18:13
by barley

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 39 queries.