injured silkie (twisted neck/wry neck)

• 10 Replies

injured silkie

injured silkie (twisted neck/wry neck)
« on: January 18, 2011, 09:15 »
Hi all,
My first post here and is in sheer desperation- so any advice/helpp would be appreciated.

My 6 week old silkie hen somehow (I believe) managed to injure herself yesterday- I was in a different room, so didnt see how it happend) but I think it either hit its head or got pecked by another chicken.

Anyway, it now has ended up with a twisted neck (almost 360 degrees!) and cant walk forwards. It seems OK with eating and drinking and doesnt seem to be in pain. I've isolated her and kept her warm.... but what else can I do? The internet suggests leaving it for a few days in case its "fluid on the brain".... but for how long?

A link to a video of her on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/video/video.php?v=10150368833520720&comments

Will it heal or shall I just end it now? :(
Thanks

Picture1.jpg

bantam novice

Re: injured silkie (twisted neck/wry neck)
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 13:05 »
Hello Injured Silkie and welcome to the forum.  I am sorry to hear about your hen  :(         I am not that experienced but I'm sure someone more experienced will be along shortly to give you advice.  In the meantime good luck and keep us posted.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 13:09 »
In my opinion it looks like its in alot of distress so I would put it out of its misery. :(

Obviously its up to you as to wether you take it to a vet or not for diagnosis but she doesnt look very happy at all and the head to become that way must be painful!

Sorry about the nature of your first post here but stay awhile and we will all help out if we can.

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 13:39 »
I would be taking the hen to the vet and then you'd know for sure that it could be humanely destroyed or treated. You can't afford to leave it any longer

I do hope you manage to sort it one way or the other as it's a sorry sight indeed  :(

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 13:41 »
if it is wry neck there is a treatment for it -I believe they need vitamins adding to their water but I should get a vet to check her over. If she has been pecked on her head then she may still recover with a lot of tlc - silkies have a hole in the top of their heads (as do a couple of other breeds) and banging their heads or being pecked can be problamatic. take her to a vet before you decide which way to go.
Staffies are softer than you think.

ShoeGirl

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 14:40 »
Hi, i had the same problem a couple of months ago although my Silkie is slightly older. I took her to the vets where she got a shot of antibiotics and antiinflamatory. I also picked up a tub of vitamin powder.
After a few hours it became less twisted and by the next day was almost back to normal.
Kept her in for a week or so, made sure she was drinking & eating and put the vitamin powder on grapes as she loves those. Within a couple of days she was back to her normal self.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 15:25 »
It's caised by damage to the thin bone of the crest from a bump or a peck.  The brain then protrudes through the skull.  With vet treatment and the correct medication this will gradually correct itself. 

It's not uncommon due to the abnormal skull structure of silkies and Pekins.

ShoeGirl

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 14:52 »
I hope you're Silkie is recovering. Looks as though i spoke too soon, i just came home from a couple of weeks away and my Dad told me my Silkie had the same problem for the second time.
She is drinking & eating grapes sprinkled with vitamin powder and seems to be a bit brighter so fingers crossed!!

Frizzle1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 11:32 »
Hi sorry to here about your silke, unfortunately one of my silkies developed the same problem. I believe it is definately due to a lack of a certain vitamin. Although my silkie was much older when it developed this problem, i eventually lost her despite loads of vet fees and care, it got to the point where she was unable to feed at all then eventually the rest of the hens found her volnerable and starting picking on her and caused loads of problems.Sorry to be so heartless but it does seem to be one of the many problems chickens get. Hope this helps.

ShoeGirl

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 20:53 »
Thank you for the info Frizzle1 and sorry you ended up losing her  :(

ShoeGirl

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 17:24 »
Back from the vets after taking Silkie...she has again been given a shot of Baytril & some anti inflams and i have a course of Baytril for her over the next week or so. Fingers crossed it'll do the trick!

xx
hen with a twisted neck

Started by brenda on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post March 01, 2010, 20:51
by IMOmimey
xx
chick with twisted neck

Started by raeburg on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post April 17, 2010, 16:28
by joyfull
xx
wry neck? day old silkie

Started by silverteen on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post January 16, 2012, 12:43
by Casey76
xx
Bald neck Silkie

Started by frenchliving on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post June 30, 2013, 10:58
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.234 seconds with 40 queries.