Self-picking asparagus, squashed shallots, and a buried glove!

• 16 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
JayG... if barricades solve your problem I will be very surprised as they climb everso well and can clear quite high fences. Best of luck!

Well, first round to the fox cubs!  :nowink:

No buried treasures this morning, but the "favourite" shallot, now minus most of its leaves and no doubt the will to live, had been dug up yet again next to a small excavation. The enviromesh tunnel escaped attention this time, possibly because the favoured end for breaking and entering is now covered with bricks!

Hard to say whether the 4'6" chicken mesh barrier stopped them marching up my drive (the easiest route and I've seen them use it before), but the secret runs at the end of my garden are far more extensive than I previously thought and probably connect it to just about everywhere in the neighbourhood!  :ohmy: Had neither the time nor any more chicken wire to try to block off access to and from them yesterday, but today I've deployed every last piece of spare trellis netting I possess to try to achieve that.

Somehow not feeling as confident as I did yesterday, and this is probably going to be a long battle, but hopefully I can make life difficult enough for them to decide to play elsewhere.   :unsure:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Paul Plots

"Our" foxes had lived in old Norman's garden for a decade or more. Their cubs played in the middle of the road in the early hours of the morning....standing up on hind legs and batting each other with their paws!

Then Norman died.  :( He was a lovely old chap - I'd imagine the foxes miss him too.

Now new owners have cut out many of the old trees and let the light flood in - great for my parents who now live next-door but not so good for the foxes. As the brush, under-growth and bushes went so, slowly, did the foxes.

No more holes in my newly created veg garden over the road and few sightings of foxes wandering into Norman's drive at 2, 3 and 4 am. I haven't seen them asleep on the other neighbour's lawns recently yet there's no one living there to disturb them.

Gone? Moved on?

Fat chance! The little blighters had dug a massive entrance under the rear of our work-shop shed. Enough room for a car park under there! But... having filled it in with broken paving stones they appear to have been there and gone ages ago.

Only one brief sighting of a fox in Norman's old garden yesterday evening and he/she moved like lightening.

I think they are re-locating at last.

Best of luck JayG. They take some shifting!!

Had you thought of trying a dilute solution of Jeyes fluid? They are not keen on the smell - it kept them away from my parnets bungalow at the other end of the garden.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 02:32 by Paul Plots »
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

xx
asparagus picking

Started by Ian_A on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 01, 2010, 17:07
by Babstreefern
xx
Picking asparagus

Started by Jackypam on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 23, 2013, 13:57
by savbo
xx
latest Asparagus picking

Started by Oldskoolrools on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post June 01, 2013, 13:34
by Oldskoolrools
xx
asparagus picking - from 2 yr crowns

Started by Ian_A on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 19, 2010, 17:39
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 34 queries.