Help Broody Chicken

• 4 Replies

jinty1911

Help Broody Chicken
« on: October 12, 2010, 17:27 »
Grace has decided she wants babies!! She is only 24 weeks tomorrow and still a baby herself.  Yesterday she went to the nest box at 4.30pm even though she had already laid in the morning.  This morning she came out of house 1st thing and returned to nest box after 10 minutes.  As she hadn't laid I left her to it and she was still there when I got back from work at 4pm.  I moved her and she was sitting on a really warm tiny egg.  I have shut the house so she cant get back in but she is standing at top of ramp trying to get in.  I feel so sorry for her.  Also noticed the chooks seem to be aggresive with each other since yesterday whereas before that they where all happy.  What should I do?  Have heard about the cage method but it is very cold and frosty here at the moment and am also worried incase she starts making a racket and annoys the neighbours.
Jinty   

orchardlady

Re: Help Broody Chicken
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 18:11 »
Hello Junty1911

I'm afraid they only option to stop a broody hen from being broody is to make life pretty uncomfortable although not intolerable. If it's very cold and frosty you could drape an old blanket over it with the front open to the air at night and cover over more for during the night. chickens are fairly hardy birds and have their own portable feather duvet.

As you chicken is so young I do have my doubts as to if she is genuinely broody though. It might be worth putting off the uncomfortable lifestyle for a few days until you (and she) are really sure.

Does she puff up like a football if you put your hand near her?

Does she 'cuddle' your hand if you put it under her palm side down when she is in the nest box?

A broody can pick a fight with a feather...is she grumpy?

jinty1911

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 18:31 »
Hi Orchardlady Yes, she was puffed up and looking very proud of herself.  When I moved her she made a kind of purring/growling sound.  Don't know about snuggling my hand as I just moved her.  I gave them some sweet corn earlier just to see if she would move from ramp.  She did but is back there now.  Will have to open door soon as its getting dark and they will want to go to bed.  Can't block off nest box as the other 2 lay early in the morning.  Will just have to see how it goes.  Hopefully the frosty weather will put her off.
Jinty

jinty1911

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 18:58 »
Have opened house.  Grace 1st in and straight into nest box.  I put my hand under her and after making the purring noise she started making movements (dont know if they were snuggling movements.  They seemed a bit ruder than that   ;) but then I'm not a chicken. She is very young but is a Silky x Light Sussex.
Jinty   

orchardlady

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 20:27 »
Silkies are notorious for going broody. Yep it sounds from your description she is broody. As I mentioned before you need to make life uncomfortable for her. There are various posts on here about broodies so worth a look. Or as long as you don't mind the only other option is to hook her out of the nest box whenever you are around. She will want to return fairly promptly but ensure she eats some food and has a drink before returning to her nest box. Don't just leave her as some broodies are sooo broody they simply starve to death on their nest. She will eventually give up but it could be weeks and weeks and weeks.

xx
is my chicken broody or ill

Started by atwickwitch on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post December 14, 2012, 10:41
by JamesFarmFood
xx
broody chicken

Started by kelsgirlsx on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 10:57
by joyfull
xx
broody chicken

Started by Elcie on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 11, 2009, 21:48
by joyfull
xx
help re broody chicken

Started by abd1964 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 30, 2009, 20:14
by abd1964

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 35 queries.