Lost a duckling

• 5 Replies

Kathie

• Experienced Member
Lost a duckling
« on: September 27, 2010, 12:00 »
Lost one of our beautiful India Runner  ducklings on Saturday night and I haven't stopped crying since :(

She was fine a 5 o'clock but an hour later was sitting down gulping.  We took her to water, checked her throat that seemed clear but there was a hard lump at the back of her neck, OH said it felt like a  bone.  I think she may have had a fall but OH thinks it may have been a birth defect but either way she died an hour later.

She was a lovely little lady, dark grey with a hint of lilac and lovely black legs and feet and all I could say was that we hadn't even given her a name. :(

Does anyone know of birth defects, or had any similar experience.  I fell so stupid because I still feel devasted! Even cried again when I had to alter my profile. Sorry for yet another epic

Thankls
3 dogs now, 2 passed RIP Poppy and Paige, one wonderful husband and a new adventure on this wonderful island

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Lost a duckling
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 12:29 »
there is nothing stupid for being upset over the loss of an obviously well loved pet, I have often balled my eyes out when I have lost one, it just shows that she was loved and that you are a caring person - huge hugs from me xxx
Staffies are softer than you think.

Kathie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 12:53 »
Thanks so much Joyful,
I couldn't come on here in case anyone else had bad news and I couldn't see properly anyway

bantam novice

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 15:13 »
So sorry to hear about your duckling  :(  Don't feel stupid about crying.  Good Luck with the others.   They obviously have a good caring owner.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 12:45 »
I'm so sorry to hear about your duckling.

I cried for a whole day the first time one of mine died.

How old was it?
Are all the others Ok?
Did it need any help to hatch?

Like any animal, they can have birth defects although sometimes they are just not strong enough to survive. I have had a duckling with spina bifida which was upsetting and deformities of the legs and neck can occur, amongst others.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Kathie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 18:30 »
Hi Kate.

Thank you.

She would have been 7 weeks on Sunday.  The others are all fine, they didn't even miss her!  They all hatched naturally with our Light Sussex.

What was so upsetting is that she seemed fine, quacking away, feeding well and really enjoyed splashing away in the afternoon and by evening she was gone.  I still fill up when I think of her death.  She just couldn't stand and as I said seemed to be gulping, it was so quick we couldn't have done anything else even if the vets had been open so we just held her for a while and then put her in a soft lined box. :(

xx
DUCKLING

Started by WR1 on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post July 05, 2008, 20:47
by WR1
xx
re duckling

Started by phil2005 on The Hen House

28 Replies
Last post June 11, 2009, 22:52
by too many girls
xx
Possible duckling

Started by dkelly on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 12, 2007, 13:11
by slowef
xx
Duckling - cute or what?

Started by WG. on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post April 20, 2007, 21:17
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 37 queries.