red mite spray

• 9 Replies

marran

red mite spray
« on: June 29, 2008, 14:53 »
Any advice on a good spray to use on my hut nest boxs ect i have a spray bottle so needs to be liquid . Lots of the little criters and they have to go  :evil:

dawnsmith

red mite spray
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 16:14 »
Hi Marran
I had my first visit from the dreaded red mite two weeks ago.
I stripped the coop down, and sprayed all over with Poultry Shield, and dusted all over with Diatom.
I used loads of both, then checked for mites every day since. I haven't seen one  :D
I have made a point of repeating this both weekends since, and I'll do the same monthly - religiously from here on.

I'm no expert, but this has worked for me.

good luck - I hope you get the critters  :D
Dawn
x

westie

• Experienced Member
red mite spray
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 21:03 »
We've got an invasion of the little critters too...must be the warm weather.
Have ordered the Poultry Shield and will carry on with diatom until it arrives. Their time is lim :twisted: ited!!!

dawnsmith

red mite spray
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 21:52 »
Hi Weatie,
just a thought - the people at my local poultry contre said to brush the diatom generously over the perches and into all the nooks and crannies, they also said to throw a handfull into their bedding, that way the chooks will fluff it into any areas you miss.
We've done this and so-far so-good.

The poultry sheild you dilute to 1 / 10 and spray it everywhere, it aparently softens the mites and makes them vunerable. They then walk on the diatom and it dries them out.

Sounds grizzly, buy it gets the job done  :shock:

Good luck

blossom1044

red mite spray
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 09:30 »
Foxy gave me this link as we had an infestation of red mite.  None yet!

http://www.regencypoultry.com/shoparea.asp?p=770ce6fc-1c44-4a66-a36c-915c0de1fe16

None yet.

I use the dust as well as poultry shield.

It has been very effective, so far.  Also the owner of the company has been very helpful and offered a great service.
new to hens
Thanks
T

chookiepaula

spray
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 11:52 »
Hello there, you can use poultry shield and/or diatom as suggested or you can get a spray from your vets called Indorex, its about £15 a can which will easily do a chicken house about 3 times and will provide about 12months protection after also killing the ones that are there.

Hope this helps
Check out my training courses! e-mail me for details: Chicken Keeping Courses in Cambridge

si-mate

• Experienced Member
red mite spray
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 14:45 »
Indorex isn't licensed for use around poultry so I wouldn't personally use it. It also shouldn't be used outside as it's toxic to bees and aquatic life.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
red mite spray
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 16:55 »
A nice photo for my External Parasites article in the Poultry Info section would be nice please  :D

marran

Re: red mite spray
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 17:55 »
Quote from: "marran"
Any advice on a good spray to use on my hut nest boxs ect i have a spray bottle so needs to be liquid . Lots of the little criters and they have to go  :evil:

Thanks all very good advice will get them now.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: spray
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 07:49 »
Quote from: "chookiepaula"
you can get a spray from your vets called Indorex, its about £15 a can which will easily do a chicken house about 3 times and will provide about 12months protection after also killing the ones that are there.

Quote from: "http://petsuppliesuk.info/category/dog-flea-treatments/"

Indorex Household Flea Spray 500ml
Indorex Household Flea Spray is recommended by vets as being one of the most effective household flea sprays available. A 5 second burst of Indorex spray will treat approximately 1 square meter. Care should be taken to treat all carpets and rugs, skirting boards and tiles, paying particular attention to any cracks and crevices. After spraying it is recommended that the room is closed up for half an hour and then ventilated for a further half hour. Indorex Household Spray will interrupt the life cycle of the flea but you may see residual adult fleas appearing due to the chemicals being unable to kill of the pupa stage. An application of Indorex Household Spray will be active in your home for up to 1 year. This product is fatal to fish, crustaceans and bees and must not be applied directly to your pet.

The Active Ingredients are : Permethrin (rapidly kills adult fleas), Pyripoxyfen (controls growth of eggs and larvae from fleas and house dust mites), piperonyl butoxide (reinforces the action of permethrin).

Permethrin is poorly absorbed through the skin however, and Pyripoxyfen is a flea hormone which interrupts their life cycle so probably not a problem to chickens or humans.  Piperonyl Butoxide prevents the  pemethrin from being broken down quickly in the fleas making its action stronger.  So the choice is yours.

Quote from: "si-mate"
Indorex isn't licensed for use around poultry so I wouldn't personally use it. It also shouldn't be used outside as it's toxic to bees and aquatic life.

As si-mate points out it is NOT licenced for poultry, so there is no information available about transfer of residues to eggs or meat and it is also fatal to bees, fish and crustaceans.

xx
Mite spray ???

Started by francais on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 14, 2009, 13:14
by Alby
xx
Even if you buy a new henhouse -spray against red mite!

Started by Foxy on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 30, 2008, 11:52
by kattcottrell
xx
Spray on mite treatment?

Started by annr on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 31, 2020, 20:35
by grinling
xx
anti mite spray

Started by ceri green on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 01, 2009, 21:45
by broodyhen

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 36 queries.