School Kitchen Garden

• 7 Replies

daveyboy

• BCS
School Kitchen Garden
« on: November 18, 2010, 22:29 »
Excuse the long post.....

So, just been given the go ahead from the powers that be. Got a Plot 15 x 22 mts to work with, and two professional chefs in our school canteen. They are feeding approx 400-500 students a day. No point me growing root veg, as I could not possibly keep up! So I am looking to grow fruit, herbs and some unusual veg. Please bear in mind that anything that is ready for harvesting between late July / August is a no no as the kitchen is not operational in school holidays!

The plot is covered in creeping buttercup ( I think – see  photo I have grabbed from another thread).

My first questions are : -

Rhubarb crowns – is it too late to put them in? (BTW if anyone is near Bath and splitting a crown and would like to donate to the school please PM, email or carrier pigeon - I'm going to need a few!)

Same goes for Raspberries?   And I assume I need an autumn fruiter?

And Garlic?

Thank you in advance......
weed.jpg

daveyboy

• BCS
Re: School Kitchen Garden
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 22:32 »
More Piccy's

bottom.jpg

daveyboy

• BCS
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 22:36 »
Last one....

window.jpg

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 22:45 »
You will not feed 400-500 students a day with a plot that size even with a plot dedicated to one veg, fruit or herb - thats the bad news  :nowink:

Not too late for garlic, and the kids will love that. You can also start onions off soon that wont take a lot of space.
Lettuce is quick growing and is a good catch crop depending on the variety as well as choosing a cut and come again.
Strawberries are lovely in season and kids love them (net them though!) and they love to pick them, so are worth a sizeable patch in my opinion.
A herb garden with rosemary, thyme,lavender etc is a good permanent patch too.
Rainbow chard can be a good 'unusual' veg

Why not send round a questionnaire with some ideas on for the kids to choose?
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 23:21 »
Isn't garlic harvested in August?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

daveyboy

• BCS
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 23:47 »
If my son is anything to go by, I'd have no chance of feeding that lot - even with a small country! - the idea is to grow something different, something to give our chef's a little more to work with (herbs - they are expensive to buy) and something for the puddings (rhubarb, raspberry, gooseberry, strawberry, etc) every so often. I will try to get our students involved - we are already keeping chickens and hopefully we have a couple of pigs on the way. I don't think its about trying to feed them, more about expanding their minds' ( oh and getting them to weed the plot  ;) ).

Rainbow chard - haven't thought of that - good choice.
Strawberries - lets see if they actually make it to the kitchen.........along with the raspberries......

Any ideas on varieties? - I'm growing strawberry 'Irresistible' at home and wondering if they are going to be early enough? - 'Joan J' for the raspberries?

Thanks again
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 10:01 by mumofstig »

daveyboy

• BCS
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 00:03 »
Oooops - forgot to say thanks to Rich for the photo: - http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=67230.0

Salmo

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 11:20 »
Others will no doubt advise you but my Autumn raspberries main fruiting period  August/September. You might do better with an early Summer variety for June/July.

Creeping buttercup is a nasty weed to have and is quite difficult to control just with cultivation. I would be very wary of planting anything until you have eradicated it.

My advice would be to apply Roundup (or other glyphosate containing weedkiller). If the plants still have green leaves it will still be effective now, or wait until it starts to grow in the Spring. Read the instructions on the bottle. Your your groundsman probably has some or the Council might even do it for you. Same people could also do initial rotovating.

Do not be in a rush to produce results. Careful preperation is the key to sucess. Which I am sure is what your children are told every day.

PS In my opinion, which you may wish to ignor, perennials like rhubarb and raspberries are quit boring. Sow seeds, watch them come up, tend them, eat them. Grow some fun things like pumpkins and sunflowers. Potatoes, peas and beans are all good fun.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 11:32 by Salmo »

xx
Another School Garden Question

Started by galen on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 28, 2012, 00:42
by Salmo
xx
when when ...spuds in the school garden

Started by fisher on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 23, 2013, 12:08
by fisher
xx
kitchen garden thanks

Started by smc on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 22, 2009, 10:34
by Elcie
xx
Advice on starting an organic school garden?

Started by veggienut on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post October 12, 2007, 15:57
by Esme

Page created in 0.499 seconds with 35 queries.