compost bins?

• 19 Replies

krystal

compost bins?
« on: April 02, 2011, 09:51 »
we picked 2 up at the tip last week only not really sure how to do them, im just chucking tea bags, egg shells ect is that it? :wacko:
Mum to 2 girls and 1 boy, wife, a border collie blur murl, a rabbit, 10 chickens and 1 cockrel, and 3 fish.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: compost bins?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 09:57 »
The basic rule with composting is that you need a good mix of types of material - some 'brown' material i.e. paper, dry small twigs etc, and 'greens' i.e. veg peelings, grass clippings (not too much) etc.

Don't put in any cooked food or any meat / dairy products.

Only fill one at a time rather than both simultaneously - it will take longer to rot down as there will be less heat generated in two smaller quantities.

Other than that it's pretty straightforward, I think  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

fatbelly

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 10:37 »
It really is worth doing, next season or possibly this if it rots down quick you will get the most fantastic nutrient rich compost, your plants will love you for it.
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

Gandan57

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 12:58 »
Try and break things up as small as possible, but at the same time as was previously said you`re trying to create an open mix, as for material to decompose it needs air and moisture to generate heat.

Some people advocate a piece of old carpet or similar on top inside the bin to keep the heat in and if you can fork it around occasionally just to let air in this will help. Also to generate heat you need to be putting in a reasonable amount, but no perrenial weed roots!
I`m left handed, what`s your excuse?

bigben

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 19:36 »
My brother in law who has just got an allotment told me last weekend - I see everything differently now!

I have started to offer to cut the lawn next door for our OAP neighbour as much to get the extra grass as to help her out.

I have started to bag up leaves in the Autumn to create leaf mould and add a bit of "brown" to my compost rather than just using a leaf blower to blast them out of the garden.

I have started to give my friend free tough plastic bags for him to put his hedge cuttings in which he now mows with his grass at my request!

All of this I now see as something I want rather than a chore I have to do.

As for walking past skips - dont even ask!

Zippy

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 01:00 »
It's worth joining your local Freecycle and posting a WANT for any grass mowings that haven't been treated with weedkillers.  I post wants for leaves in autumn also and I get bags of spent rabbit and guinea pig bedding which goes to the compost bin as well.

I even have trained work colleagues who bring in their mowings to work for me to take home.

The possibilities are endless once you get into the mind-set.

And skips - oh yeah!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 08:12 »
With grass mowings you do need to take care not to put too much on at once.  If not properly layered with drier, 'browner' stuff then it will become a slimy soggy mess owing to inadequate air.

fatcat1955

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 12:17 »
Be careful with the hedge trimmings too, if they are woody they will also take ages to rot down.

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 16:27 »

daisy1990

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 19:02 »
and if you are in a hurry compost accelerator does work, as does human urine but as our garden can be seen by our neighbour we buy accelerator!!
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

JohnB47

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 20:00 »
and if you are in a hurry compost accelerator does work, as does human urine but as our garden can be seen by our neighbour we buy accelerator!!

I know you're only joking but I've read somewhere that urine should be diluted 20:1 before using on the compost heap. (And drinking lots of beer beforehand doesn't dilute it  :lol:)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 20:31 »
I've not heard that about diluting it.  Male urine is said to be effective but female not so.

ally

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 09:50 »
Over the past week or so I have noticed alot of ants aroung the rim of my compost bin and in the lid!! just double checked and they are definately ants (which I hate!!! makes my skin itch).   Away will the go away over time or can I do something about them??!?!
2 Books and No idea!!!  Learning as I go!

noshed

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 09:54 »
They won't do any harm
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

JohnB47

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 22:14 »
I've not heard that about diluting it.  Male urine is said to be effective but female not so.

Here's where I read it. Scroll down to the para headed 'Compost Ingredients'.

http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/organicgardening/compost_pf.php

xx
Compost Bins

Started by Sir Lance-Allot on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post January 15, 2009, 18:24
by joshwain
xx
Compost Bins

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post February 27, 2010, 21:50
by Swing Swang
xx
squash in compost bins

Started by owein on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 07, 2008, 21:14
by Welsh Girls Allotment
xx
Bees and compost bins

Started by Yorkie on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 12, 2021, 08:37
by Mr Dog

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 29 queries.