Sorting out a muddy puddle

• 8 Replies

OurAllotment

• Our Allotment Blog
Sorting out a muddy puddle
« on: October 29, 2020, 10:23 »
I hope this is in the right place, on our allotment we took up the existing pathway, due to bind weed being under part of it, and it being much more of a trip hazard, especially around the green houses.

We re laid the path as far as the green houses, and then as there is a ready supply of free bark chippings on the allotment site, chose to make the rest of the path from this, with the option to just put more down as needed. it is working well in most parts, even with all the rain, apart from a section outside the two green houses which seems to be turning into a muddy puddle.

Any suggestions for remedy, or what we should have done rather than just put bark chippings down? Thank you.

snowdrops

Re: Sorting out a muddy puddle
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2020, 11:52 »
Could it be the muddy puddle area is due to the run off from the greenhouse? Do you collect the rain from it & if so what happens when the water butts are full, which presumably they are if the amount of rain we have had is anything to go by? It might be worth digging a soak away near the greenhouse & filling with gravel & stones to enable it to dissipate.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

OurAllotment

• Our Allotment Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2020, 06:28 »
There is a slope in the allotment, to which the green houses slope away from the puddle, and if there was nothing else the previous tenant did leave apart from carpet, it was a water butt system on the two green houses and shed. So any water off the greenhouses goes in to them.

It seems the suggestion as your own, (our lass has asked elsewhere as well) is the stones underneath, or membrane.

grinling

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2020, 21:15 »
If water butts are full.you could try emptying them with hose on tap. I do this on one of mine to stop rain water going into septic tank ( previous owner was a person)

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2020, 18:37 »
Membrane won’t stop the wetness, just maybe the muddyness

jezza

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2020, 19:43 »
Hello theres an interlocking  plastic paving system that has hexagon 2 inch  sections,looks like egg box  that can be filled with bark,gravel  even turf can be put on top and rolled in  would that solve the puddle problem   jezza

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2021, 20:28 »
Assuming you have a route to which water can drain, you need a French drain system beneath that wet area. It is essentially perforated pipe, or a branched network of connected perforated pipe, leading to a drainage outlet. You could probably make such a system out of heavy gauge PVC pipe (we would call that gauge "schedule 80" here), roughly 2-inch diameter, 0.5 cm holes drilled in the pipe to let the water in, gravity drains the water out of the pipe system.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Seanav

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2021, 18:17 »
If building a French Drain remember to drill the holes at the bottom of the pipe not the top (about 4 and 8 O'Clock ) . Can seem counter intuitive (to me anyway) but doesnt work if holes are in the top half

jezza

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2021, 13:28 »
Hello this is my great Grandads and Grandads  French drain method made with bundles of thorn ash silver birch brash,dig a trench 18 inch deep with a slight fall away from the wet area make loose bundles of brash or just place brash in to the trench cut ends facing the outlet, replace soil it should work I did this method 5 years ago in my back garden no water stands now   jezza

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 44 queries.