Difference between runner, broad, and kidney beans?

• 21 Replies

ConfusedGardener

• Experienced Member
Difference between runner, broad, and kidney beans?
« on: April 21, 2014, 12:02 »
Is there a difference between runner, broad, and kidney beans? Can anyone recommend a variety? I'd like to grow some kidney beans so I can make my own chilli. Thanks.

Auntiemogs

Re: Difference between runner, broad, and kidney beans?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 12:25 »
Kidney beans are the mature seed of the runner bean plant.  Not sure about varieties, as I grow them to eat the whole pod, but I'm sure someone will be along soon... :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 12:51 »
Runner beans and broad beans are nice and kidney beans are orrible ! :)

Nobbie

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 12:52 »
Kidney beans are the mature seed of the runner bean plant.  Not sure about varieties, as I grow them to eat the whole pod, but I'm sure someone will be along soon... :)

Are you sure about that? Kidney beans are known for containing toxins unless properly prepared. This isn't an issue with runner beans as far as I know.

You could try planting dried kidney beans an see what comes up, but I'd do some more research about the toxin before eating them.

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 13:33 »
Just giggled kidney beans and they seem to be a variety of the "common bean" which didn't help a lot. Re- kidney bean toxins, they MUST be cooked properly and NOT in a slow-cooker as that increases their toxicity. I would definitely get culinary advice before you make your chilli. I have read somewhere that you shouldn't eat any sort of beans raw as it seems they are all toxic to a degree. Runner beans are eaten in the  pod and can be flat or round-podded; broad beans have either white or green-coloured seeds which are shelled out of the pod before cooking. There are also French beans (dwarf and climbing) which are also eaten in the pod.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Totty

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 15:13 »
None of them are the same, they all have different growing preferences as well as culinary uses.

Totty

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 16:21 »
I think most of the bean seeds can be toxic once dried and then not cooked properly.

I didn't think kidney beans were the mature seeds from the runner bean and all my runner seeds are mottled, but kidney are dark red.

Becky-Lou

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 16:35 »
Hi confused! 

Just to throw a spanner in the works, I generally grow borlotti beans for use in chilli, and very good they are too!  They look stunning, and if you need to dry them for use over the winter, just let the pods dry on the plant, then pop the beans in a jar.  All dried beans need to be soaked and cooked before before being added to dishes as far as I know-this website has some instructions: http://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/articles/know-your-beans-how-to-spot-store-soak-and-cook-beans-and-

Hope that's of some help to you.

ConfusedGardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 19:56 »
Thanks for the replies all!

I'll give borlotti beans a go then, but it would be nice to try growing true kidney beans too, if they will grow here? I'm guessing since chilli comes from Mexico, true kidney beans would prefer a warmer climate than we have here? I may try finding/planting some dried kidney beans as Nobbie suggested if I can find any.

If anyone can post some more definitive info on growing kidney beans, please do.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 21:09 »
Red Kidney beans here
http://www.organiccatalogue.com/p129/FRENCH-BEAN-Canadian-Wonder/product_info.html

other suppliers online.

This particular dried bean produces the familiar dark reddish beans known as Red Kidney Beans. Used in various dishes such as chili con carne.
http://www.spaldingbulb.co.uk/product/beans-dried-canadian-wonder/

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 21:16 »
Hi confused! 

Just to throw a spanner in the works, I generally grow borlotti beans for use in chilli, and very good they are too!  They look stunning, and if you need to dry them for use over the winter, just let the pods dry on the plant, then pop the beans in a jar.  All dried beans need to be soaked and cooked before before being added to dishes as far as I know-this website has some instructions: http://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/articles/know-your-beans-how-to-spot-store-soak-and-cook-beans-and-

Hope that's of some help to you.

I grew borlotti for the first time last year, and had a wonderful crop!  I dried them in the pods, then put them in jars, but be careful!  I couldn't have left them long enough to dry and some started to go mouldy in the jars!  :ohmy:

So I sorted them out, cooked them and froze them in little helpings.  Then I just chuck one or two in whatever I'm cooking!   And although Brian says he doesn't like kidney beans, he says he does like borlotti!  so that's a bonus!  :)

Really pleased I tried them!

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 18:21 »
To the best of my knowledge these are all different beans. The health issue only arrived when you are using dried rather than fresh beans. According to my book accompanying my now antique pressure cooker you can cook them without an overnight soak. Add boiling water and leave for an hour covered then cook for 30 minutes at high pressure. ( For large beans). I often make soup and add some beans taking this approach.

Cheers HH
Keep digging

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 18:59 »
Kidney Beans is a bit of a generic name, if I'm not mistaken they are from French Beans.

spottymint

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 19:12 »
This seems to back the theory that they are related to french beans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phaseolus_vulgaris

Auntiemogs

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 19:27 »
Apologies for my lack of knowledge CG and all.  Some climbing beans (runners) are called 'kidney beans' for their shape, but true 'kidney beans' are a particular strain of climbing bean.  Many beans contain toxins, but apparently it's especially true of kidney beans, so whatever you rehydrate to cook, it's worth finding out...

xx
Difference between runner beanss and dwarf beans

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 10, 2021, 21:33
by Anton
xx
Kidney Beans

Started by Parsnip on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post April 16, 2009, 16:48
by mumofstig
xx
Kidney beans

Started by Beetroot Queen on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post September 28, 2014, 20:22
by Comfreypatch
xx
Red kidney beans

Started by Leisurely on Grow Your Own

33 Replies
Last post September 11, 2013, 16:49
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.39 seconds with 40 queries.