Orpingtons.

• 12 Replies

JaK

• Happy half plot.
Orpingtons.
« on: April 28, 2011, 12:50 »
Hi we have been thinking about keeping chickens for a very long time. We are still unsure if we will at the moment but want to swot up anyway.
We really like the look of Orpingtons. We want good sized birds that will wlay but also make good pets. Would this be an ideal breed?
Also want to add that we would love to hatch our own chicks as we think it would be a lovely thing to do with the children.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 12:54 by JaK »

Casey76

Re: Orpingtons.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 15:39 »
Utility Orps 9which lay well) look very different from exhibition orps (which are floofy, but tend not to lay very well).

Orps tend to lay a small egg (supermarket medium) in comparison to body mass.

But they do have a reputation for being placid :)

While hatching chicks is nice for the kids, have you thought about all the extra equipment you'll need, not to mention what will you do with all of the resulting cockerels (at least 50%).  Not trying to put you off, but a lot of people dive in to hatching and don't really think about what happens for the 12 weeks after hatching ;)

Colernehens

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 20:48 »
Hi, we have 7 Large Fowl Orpingtons in 5 of the colours (not sure if they are classed as utility, as I am not sure what is meant by untility - we are new to chicken keeping). They are not all the same age but our oldest three are roughly a year old and they have the most amazing fluffy feathers,we are bias but we think they are a great breed, we are already planning when we can add more.

They are lovely birds, very friendly, great character, not at all flytey. My children handle them with great ease and the chickens seem to love having the children play out in the garden with them.

We have 5 currently laying and we get between 3 and 5 eggs a day, and they will stop laying around the end of September and start again around the beginning of March which we think is pretty good.

All in all we say yes to Orpingtons  :lol: :lol:

asd1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 20:58 »
I bought my mum two orps for mothers day, she already has three ex batts a Peking and some sort of white bantam. They have fit in really well and seem to  Have a calming effect on the other hens. You would think that because of their size they would be top of the pecking order but actually that's the white bantam. The orps are the most people friendly of the hens any lay lovely pinkish eggs

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 15:31 »
Brilliant, this is what we wanted to hear! Yes, we want some eggs but the most important thing is that they are friendly, they would be treated as pets (instead of a rabbit or guinea pig).

Yes, we have looked into hatching eggs and can borrow a small incbater froma friend. my neighbour has already asked for any unwanted chics as she has a lot of space to keep them.We just need to make a firmdecision as to go for it or not and also save for a plastic coop.

hillfooter

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 01:58 »
Orps make great pets but I doubt they will satisfy your egg needs so bear that in mind.  Another alternative would be Buff Sussex which are almost as big as Orps though they aren't quite as fluffy as they are big heavy birds, docile and very easy to keep.  Proper looking chickens.  They are much better layers generally than Orps and make good broodies (much better than children :D) but as with any pure breed you must enquire about their egg laying performance as laying can be very strain dependant.

Here are a couple of mine.

HF
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 02:04 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 06:29 »
I bought 2 POL bantam Orpingtons in February from a supplier on Poultry Pages on here and am very happy with them.  They are the fluffy show type birds but are both laying an egg each most days at present.  I'm sure that will wax and wane with the seasons as with all pure breeds, but they are very docile friendly birds.

This is them free ranging with their Serama bantam cockerel.  The grass has taken a pounding where their run has been but otherwise they are very little trouble in the garden compared to my other hooligans  :)

uba

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 13:18 »
Hillfooter your chicken pictures look fantastic, is that a really fancy camera you use?

Re: Orpingtons We have three large fowl orps and although they came of laying age late last year we didnt start getting any until second week in january. Since then we get 2 or 3 eggs most days, they tend to not bother laying if its a really nasty day but if the following day is just as bad they give in and lay one anyway.

We have a little boy of two years who likes to chase them around the garden and sometimes grabs at them a little rough if me or his mum dont get to him fast enough. This doesnt seem to bother them at all and they will just move away and certainly dont show any signs of retaliation, I do handle them alot though so I dont know if this is more due to that rather than the breed itself.
Hope this helps a bit :)

We got a freak massive egg today, I am going to take a photo and make a new topic for maximum exposure please have a look, I weighed it at 99 grams !!

Two wrongs don't make a right but three lefts do.

hillfooter

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 13:33 »
Hillfooter your chicken pictures look fantastic, is that a really fancy camera you use?

I used two cameras for these shots.  An old but excellent Cannon Power shot A70 which was a good quality versatile (for it's day) compact 3.2 Mpx camera and a more modern Panasonic FZ100 with X24 optical zoom (13Mpx) which is a so called bridge camera because it bridges the gap between compact cameras and the all singing and dancing single lens reflex interchangable lens camera a real photographic enthusiast would use.  I also sometimes use a 6Mpx Canon Powershot SD700IS compact which is a very small but takes very good photos in good light conditions.

I think the trick to good chicken photos is to get down to their level and so enter their world.  It's never quite so involving when you take them from a standing position looking down on their backs.  Use the optical zoom to good effect too.

HF
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 21:14 by hillfooter »

uba

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 20:54 »
That sounds a good tip, I'll try some tomorrow down at their level cheers for that :)

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 22:25 »
Thankyou all for your help. I'm going to google Buff sussex now HF. :)
Uba that egg was impressive!

hillfooter

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 01:06 »
OK just a couple more shots of my Buff & Light Sussex.  One thing I would say is that provided the breed is docile which applies to Sussex and Orps and you handle them regularly and hand feed etc they will become very friendly.  There are more nervy breeds which even if you hand feed and try to handle will always try to stay out of range and refuse to be petted.

The cockerel is a leghorn but the hens are Light & Buff Sussex

The cock in this photo is in fact Sylvester a Vorwerk not a Buff Sussex.
HF
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 01:09 by hillfooter »

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2011, 21:22 »
Really beautiful pics HF. I've done some more reading on the buff sussex and they seem like lovely birds.

Today is a good day, the closest we have got to owning some hens (fter many years of thinking about it). DH looked out of the window onto the frame he built for a workshop (some time ago now) and said "I'm going to take that down and we will talk to breeders about chickens." I almost did a little victory dance!  :lol:

xx
Price of orpingtons!

Started by asd1 on Chicken Chat

9 Replies
Last post September 03, 2011, 15:17
by boosmummy
xx
How soon can you tell the sex of Buff Orpingtons?

Started by tracy66 on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post September 26, 2011, 12:34
by Helenaj
xx
Bantam Orpingtons?

Started by jinty1911 on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post February 03, 2011, 17:11
by jinty1911
xx
2 new buff orpingtons

Started by gracie on Chicken Chat

7 Replies
Last post May 31, 2011, 18:59
by Honeysuckle

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 40 queries.