How much do you sell your eggs for?

• 48 Replies

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: How much do you sell your eggs for?
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2013, 11:37 »
I keep my bantam eggs for us, others are for hatching and my neighbour buys most of the excess large fowl and quail eggs.  I sell them at 10p per egg, she is a very good neighbour.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Debbieta

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2013, 11:49 »
Any ideas to price of ducks eggs per 6!!
Ta
Debbie

Springlands

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2013, 11:53 »
I have a friend who buys my duck eggs and she insists on paying £2 per half dozen - but that is because she says that she saw them in a market for that price and mine are much nicer. I would have been happy with £1.50.  :)

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2013, 09:28 »
We charge the neighbours £1.25 per half dozen.  I worked out this covers the cost of the feed.

Saying that I have just gone to get some eggs for brekky and there's none here!  The kids must of sold them yesterday when I was out...bet I don't see that money  :lol: :lol:

Oliveview

« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2013, 08:30 »
Not a help, as we are in Spain!  We sell our eggs for 2.20€ a dozen, so about the same as the eggs you are all selling.  We are just as bad, we sell the eggs to regular customers and then end up buying from the supermarket for ourselves.  We have started now to keep the smaller eggs, and eat them, they are too small to sell anyway.  We have 27 hens, of which at least 10 are old girls, so really need culling- one of our customers wants any hens we kill!!  Except, we can´t do the deed, I am always pleased that an old girl dies of natural causes :lol: 
Once the weather cools down, towards the end of September we will be buying new point of lay hens, so we need to get rid of the old girls. 
We give eggs to friends and our neighbour, the rest have to pay!  I have seen free-range eggs being sold for 2.50€ a dozen at the bars close by us, but we will stick to 2.20€ unless the feed prices go up again.
Our eggs are cheaper than the supermarket free-range ones
Pamela

Craig69

• Experienced Member
  • Kinder - Cadbury & Little One ~ Newton Abbot
    • Jellyfish Window Cleaning
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2013, 09:04 »
I sell mine for £1 for half dozen to neighbours & to my customers at work. It helps pay for their food etc.
Not looking to make a profit from it & my customers love them.
Most of them get used at home though.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2013, 12:43 »
Can you sell eggs even if there is a cockerel running with the hens? Or are people fussy?

ANHBUC

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2013, 18:37 »
Can you sell eggs even if there is a cockerel running with the hens? Or are people fussy?

Some people would not like it and vegetarians might avoid fertile eggs.

pepsi100

« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2013, 20:36 »
How would they know ?

I have a cockerel, I dont know which hen he 'trod'

They all look the same to me

As far as I am concerned, eggs is eggs
It's all about the journey, not the destination

snowdrops

« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2013, 21:28 »
I think I am right in saying when an egg is cracked open you can tell if it has been fertilised. I'm sure someone will be along to agree/disagree &  or show/ describe how you can see.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

ANHBUC

« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2013, 22:49 »
How would they know ?

I have a cockerel, I dont know which hen he 'trod'

They all look the same to me

As far as I am concerned, eggs is eggs

It is possible for an egg laid 3 weeks after mating to be fertile.  If you are selling them and were asked it is best to say there is a chance that they could be fertile.

I think I am right in saying when an egg is cracked open you can tell if it has been fertilised. I'm sure someone will be along to agree/disagree &  or show/ describe how you can see.

That is right, I have never tried to identify a fertile egg but it is possible.  There is some information with photos HERE for anyone who might be interested.

pepsi100

« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2013, 23:47 »
If an egg is fertile upto 3 weeks, how come eggs that are supposed to be 'fresh' on e***  and ferile never hatch out ?

even though the seller insists on 100% fertility

I have never tried to hatch any of my 'fertile eggs even though I have seen the cockerel tred a particlar hen

I suppose at some point I have eaten a fertile egg, but before I got the cockerel the ewggs still tasted the same

Tim (who is a vegetarian) cant taste any difference either (and he gets a dozen every wek from me and he knows I have a cockerel

Springlands

« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2013, 09:40 »
Thank you for that link ANHBUC - really interesting.  :)

ANHBUC

« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2013, 21:29 »
If an egg is fertile upto 3 weeks, how come eggs that are supposed to be 'fresh' on e***  and ferile never hatch out ?

even though the seller insists on 100% fertility

I have never tried to hatch any of my 'fertile eggs even though I have seen the cockerel tred a particlar hen

I suppose at some point I have eaten a fertile egg, but before I got the cockerel the ewggs still tasted the same

Tim (who is a vegetarian) cant taste any difference either (and he gets a dozen every wek from me and he knows I have a cockerel

I was saying that for up to three weeks after a cockerel has mated with a hen she can still produce a fertile egg from that mating. 

Fertile eggs are better being set earlier rather than later but I have had success with older eggs.  I think it is a combination of bad fertility, possibly interbreeding and of course the gentle rough handling/temperature changes during delivery that cause problems.  People have asked me to post quail eggs and I have to say I don't but if they want to take the risk they are quite welcome.  I have not had any takers yet!   :lol:

I think it is down to the individual if they want to eat fertile eggs or not, as long as they have a choice then it is up to them.  I have never noticed any difference either.   :) 

ANHBUC

« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2013, 21:29 »
Thank you for that link ANHBUC - really interesting.  :)

You are more than welcome Springy.   :)

xx
How much do you sell your chicken eggs for?

Started by CMFAM on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post May 23, 2010, 11:42
by Missie
xx
Lavender Orpington Cockerel, 6 months old - free to good home or can sell pair

Started by arsenicfairy1 on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post February 28, 2015, 12:25
by Aunt Sally
xx
eggs?

Started by k4t1e195 on Chicken Chat

14 Replies
Last post May 11, 2010, 12:04
by k4t1e195
xx
Just got two eggs

Started by Springlands on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post January 03, 2011, 16:06
by arugula

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 36 queries.