How much do you sell your eggs for?

• 48 Replies

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: How much do you sell your eggs for?
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2013, 06:42 »
is there a thread on here for exchanging eggy receipe ideas ?

You will be able to find egg recipes on the recipe pages:

http://www.allotment-garden.org/recipe/

There are lots of egg recipes on the cooking board within the forum too:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=2.0

just search that board or add your own there any time. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2013, 08:24 »
I have regular customers, 3 OAP's in the village who i sell to every week for £1 doz delivered .  :wub: Some weeks they take 5 doz, others weeks only 3doz.  :) I pick out all large eggs  for them. Think I've charge £1 for the last 4 years :wub: I know  :blush:

I do similar here. I sell the eggs for £1 per 1/2 doz. I deliver them to customers in the town (on foot). I also sell a lot on the school run each day. I only take pre orders as other local sellers have had their honesty boxes stolen from, I don't want to risk that.

pepsi100

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2013, 08:54 »
Thats a bit nasty, nicking the honesty boxes

I guess thats why some ask for the money to be put in the letter box (but I daresay some dont put the right money in there, a shame things have got to this level
It's all about the journey, not the destination

Mrs Bee

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2013, 21:05 »
I sell my spares in half dozens at £1.50 mixed or £1.60 for enormous ones.

People keep harrasing me for my spares so I thought the price might put them off and leave some for us. But no, they keep coming back for more. Especially the blue shelled eggs.

pepsi100

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2013, 21:10 »
Mine have proved to be too popular now, got people waiting for them  :)

I had 5 in a box, a little boy asked me if she would be long in laying an egg ? I said he had better ask her ?
He did, never got a reply though, 2 hours later he got his egg

I think I am going to need more hens  >:(

Mrs Bee

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2013, 21:39 »
We have 11 hens and while I am pleased to sell the surplus there are an old couple who treat us a bit like Trashco delivery and tell us in rather a demanding way that they want a dozen large eggs. Which gets up my nose rather. They don't like waiting their turn either.

I sometimes end up giving them the eggs I keep for us. I must get a bit tougher I think.

All the other neighbours are really nice and always ask if we have some eggs to spare, so they go first now.

pepsi100

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2013, 21:45 »
We have 11 hens and while I am pleased to sell the surplus there are an old couple who treat us a bit like Trashco delivery and tell us in rather a demanding way that they want a dozen large eggs. Which gets up my nose rather. They don't like waiting their turn either.

I sometimes end up giving them the eggs I keep for us. I must get a bit tougher I think.

All the other neighbours are really nice and always ask if we have some eggs to spare, so they go first now.

Sorry I wouldnt tolerate that, even the kids who knock for their Mum's always say please and Thank you, they dont demand eggs, ( I dont think they actually knew where eggs came from until I showed them a hen sitting on a couple, they wewre amazed when I got them and told them to see if there was any more there, seeing their faces is quite funny)  :)

Mrs Bee

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2013, 21:55 »
Oh, I love seeing the kids faces when they first help to collect the eggs.

There I was telling a friends little lad about collecting eggs from the chickens and he said, 'NO, eggs come from Tesco'.
So we went down to the hens and proved it to him.

As for the demanding couple, they are neighbours of my aged parents, so it is a bit difficult, but this weekend I put the foot down after mum asked for the second time in as many days, for their eggs.

I told her to tell them that they would have to wait as I had a lot of cake orders coming through! Will  probably keep them waiting for a bit longer to make the point.
Everyone else is really nice and comes to collect their own eggs from the door.

pepsi100

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2013, 21:59 »
I let the kids collect their own now, but as they like petting them, its not very quick (and they are bringing over bits of bread or a few weed seeds for them)

Its even better when they find 2 under a hen  :)

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2013, 10:12 »
Thanks for the replies. £1 for half dozen seems reasonable then though due to popularity I guess I could get away with £1.50 per half dozen. I did make a really nice eggs for sale sign which says £2 a dozen but it hasnt gone up yet as all the neighbours and locals are buying all the eggs just by word of mouth.

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2013, 21:15 »
I buy mine from a free range farm, 30 large at a time for £5-£6. All double yolkers last time, never had that before!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2013, 21:24 »
I buy mine from a free range farm, 30 large at a time for £5-£6. All double yolkers last time, never had that before!

It is usually new hens that lay the double yolkers and they don't generally send them to supermarkets as they are classed as non standard.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2013, 06:41 »
Ahh that might also be why they haven't got any XL eggs at the moment, fresh batch of chickens.

Prod

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2013, 16:59 »
When I first started keeping chickens last year I used to give the neighbours the spare eggs.  There are only 6 houses in the village so I tried to do it on a 'rota' basis. Then one of them wanted some when it wasn't their 'turn' so I gave them 6 of my own and they insisted on paying. It is a farming community so they all know how much feed etc costs. Now all of them insist on paying so I charge £1 for 6.  I also sell them at the gate, usually about 2 doz a week, and the dustbin man always buys 6!!!  I have an old roof slate as a sign and a jam jar for the money and leave them to get on with it. Ive never had a problem. just an hour ago someone knocked on the door and asked if I had any, they are on holiday in a cottage nearby & it is a 10 mile drive into town, so I sold them 6 of mine. When he asked how much and I said a pound he insisted on giving me £2 as he said it had saved him the journey!!!!

Debbieta

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2013, 11:12 »
Hi there,
I sell my chicken eggs to colleagues and friends for £1 for 6.
However my daughter sells her quail eggs for £1.50 per dozen, so for the school hols I am selling the chicken eggs at the gate also for £1.50 for 6.  It just makes things simple and as demand is good, we are getting more requests than eggs! ! !
Our eggs are mixed colours including blue and dark brown and in Tescos the other week a box of 6 of either was £2 so still cheaper than the shops!
We very rarely eat our own eggs as they get sold too quick.  I wanted a couple the other day, went to the fridge and my OH had sold them!!!
Debbie

xx
How much do you sell your chicken eggs for?

Started by CMFAM on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post May 23, 2010, 11:42
by Missie
xx
Lavender Orpington Cockerel, 6 months old - free to good home or can sell pair

Started by arsenicfairy1 on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post February 28, 2015, 12:25
by Aunt Sally
smiley
five eggs!

Started by bantam novice on Chicken Chat

14 Replies
Last post September 20, 2010, 07:40
by rachelr
xx
Eggs

Started by wilbzfishing on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post May 22, 2013, 21:27
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 40 queries.