Alderman pea cropping

• 2 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Alderman pea cropping
« on: July 30, 2011, 22:58 »
I've never grown this variety before, and it did say on the packet that they crop over a long season, but is that true or just sales blurb? I did stagger the sowing a bit but the second and third batches have almost caught up with the first lot, which I have been harvesting for a couple of weeks now. But once I've taken the pods from the second and third batches, should I wait hopefully for new pods to appear or just pull the whole lot up?

Totty

Re: Alderman pea cropping
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 23:07 »
I grew them for the first time this year too. They were all planted at the same time, on the same day as my second sowing of hurst greenshaft. we started cropping maybe 10 days after the greenshaft, and picked the last of the alderman around 3 weeks after the greenshaft had been pulled up.

So on just this years experience, they take a bit longer to start cropping, but crop over a longer period of time for sure. So long as you still have flowers on the plants, you still have peas to come. I would recommend them.

Totty

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Alderman pea cropping
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 10:13 »
I've had a really good yield as well  :) and picking definitely lasted longer than with the short ones.

They finished in the end cos they outgrew the net I put on to stop the sparrers pecking them to death  :mad:

xx
The Alderman peas...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post June 03, 2022, 18:22
by Growster...
xx
Alderman Peas

Started by Chicken Pete on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 23, 2012, 19:15
by Chicken Pete
xx
Alderman peas

Started by Kajazy on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 02, 2012, 22:56
by mumofstig
xx
Alderman peas

Started by Chicken Pete on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 29, 2012, 12:36
by Kleftiwallah

Page created in 0.292 seconds with 30 queries.