Runner bean seed directly in ground and plant root/seed attacks

• 3 Replies

harwood7pccc

Have just, May 2010, got our half allotment and planted a combination of runner bean plants
and seeds on the first of June. Some of the plants still have not flourished (July) while others have reached the top of the poles and beyond. Some of the seeds never appeared and another one I dug up carefully to find the germinating seed with healthy sprout being eaten by a very fast moving flexible worm. Sure it is not a wire worm but cannot find any reference to seeds being eaten before and during germination. Any ideas.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Hello and welcome Harwood7pccc!

Have moved your topic to a more appropriate part of the forum; feel free to say hello in the "Welcome" part of the site
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
There are quite a few little beasties that will eat the beans before they germinate or just after, I also find that some of the beans just rot away.
I always sow mine in paper pots and don't plant them out till they are big enough to cope.

I also have some beans that are tall and some that are struggling, so I sowed another few to fill up the gaps. I think it has been a difficult year for them, cos they do like a lot of water.

diggerjoe

Yep mine are stuggling that I grew in pots. I am putting in a few seeds this week between just incase the summer gets extended - family have said no they were sick of beans last year but its hard to see the plants struggling and I like my beans.

xx
runner bean seed.

Started by Brassica Blaz on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 17, 2010, 06:58
by Brassica Blaz
xx
Sowing Leek Seed Directly?

Started by erainn on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 27, 2012, 23:47
by Salmo
xx
Saving runner bean seed

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post October 17, 2012, 00:47
by Paul Plots
xx
White Lady runner bean seed rot.

Started by greenhead on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post May 25, 2012, 18:10
by JohnB47

Page created in 0.401 seconds with 40 queries.