My sprout plants...

• 7 Replies

Benandbill

My sprout plants...
« on: September 16, 2012, 17:46 »
... are still really short and I've had them in for months now.  They can't be more than a foot high if that, but have plenty of leaves and some even have small sprouts forming.  Is this normal or is anyone else having the same issues... ?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 17:48 by arugula »

The Old Fellow

Re: My sprout plants...
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 17:55 »
I am having the same problem. I live in Reading Berkshire..Would be interesting if it's anywhere else. !!!!!!

gazza975526570

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 18:16 »
hit and miss with mine - some small, some grown ok.

Im gutted tbh as normally they get mady infested with whitefly and i cant eat them and this year there is hardly any!!

Had a look at the sprouts today and some are a decent size and i amost picked some

Benandbill

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 18:21 »
gazza975526570 sounds like you're doing okay with yours.  Could be the cold has set in a bit earlier up your way?  I do know sprouts like the cold.

clairebeau

• Experienced Member
    • My Blog. Brambly Corner.
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 19:05 »
gazza975526570 sounds like you're doing okay with yours.  Could be the cold has set in a bit earlier up your way?  I do know sprouts like the cold.

So I presume they'll keep growing even though it's now turning a bit colder?  I made a promise to my huge family whilst sat around the Christmas (oops, pretend I didn't say the word!) dinner table at my parents last year that the veg shall be grown by me this year....I think I was a little ambitious!  :D I only have 4 Sprout plants and although small (a tiny bit smaller than my little finger tip) they are there. Please tell me they'll be OK.

(thanks for asking this Benandbill) x
Claire. x

"Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker!" - Ogden Nash

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 20:22 »
... are still really short and I've had them in for months now.  They can't be more than a foot high if that, but have plenty of leaves and some even have small sprouts forming.
Must have been the day for checking the sprouts - been staking 3 of mine that are starting to lean.

What variety are they?  A neighbour has short plants but they look healthy enough - just short !  They were planted quite late if I recall.

Our Bedford and Bosworth are about 2.5 feet and just beginning to show tiny signs of sprouts. 

So I presume they'll keep growing even though it's now turning a bit colder?  I only have 4 Sprout plants and although small (a tiny bit smaller than my little finger tip) they are there. Please tell me they'll be OK.
(thanks for asking this Benandbill) x
They'll grow - and you might manage to eat some if you can keep the slugs from grazing, the birds away, and fend off the mice, voles, rabbits etc etc .... I didn't manage to keep any of these away last year and ended up with only a handful  >:(  :nowink:

viettaclark

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 20:34 »
Mine are so tall they're banging their heads against the debris netting! It's the first time I've grown them and I can just see the start of the sprouts. I haven't fed them yet but I'm going to give them a water with dissolved chicken poo as the raised bed is a bit dry.

Benandbill

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 06:22 »
shoozie, the variety is Brussels Sprouts Roodnerf – Seven Hills.  I think I'll do the watering in chicken pellets thing that viettaclark mentions below, can't do them any harm I suppose.  I got in between them all with a hoe yesterday as well which will hopefully help a little.  We shall see.

xx
How do I tell the difference between sprout plants from cabbage plants

Started by sushi on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 10, 2012, 20:47
by sushi
xx
Sprout plants looking sad

Started by john9159 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 21, 2009, 20:45
by Jay Dubya
xx
Brussel sprout plants

Started by Caretaker on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 09, 2008, 19:55
by gobs
xx
dead sprout plants is it too l8

Started by bigsprouts on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 03, 2008, 10:41
by gobs

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 38 queries.