A hen with a slight ( ?) prolapse

• 7 Replies

Oliveview

A hen with a slight ( ?) prolapse
« on: February 27, 2009, 22:06 »
One of the new hens, that has only just started to lay has a bit of a prolapse :ohmy:  I think it is Alana :(  There are two hens that both look like Alana!  (she was the one that was poorly at Christmas and we thought she had lost her eye (she hadn´t)   I picked her up for a stroke today and gave her a quick check and noticed a red swelling coming from her ´vent´, it wasn´t massive, but enough to look sore.  I managed to push it back (gently with a wet finger) and everything looked ok.  Any suggestions as to what I should do now?  The vets are shut now till Tuesday (bank holiday)
Is it the equivalent of humans having piles?  Would a human pile cream work?  There is a chemist open somewhere in Moron tomorrow.
Pamela

Foxy

Re: A hen with a slight ( ?) prolapse
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 22:53 »
Yes,good idea! you can give something like preparation H, will help constrict the tissue around the vent,therefore reduce inflammation. As she has just started laying she may be OK.  Check that she has access to enough calcium, are her shells nice and hard? Having calcium levels to low will affect her ability to push the egg out as well.
Good luck with her!

Oliveview

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 22:59 »
I have had 2 soft eggs, I thought one was from another hen, but as we have 15 hens it is hard to see who lays what!   They have layers feed and pellets and they free range the garden.  There isn´t any green stuff growing- I go and raid the verge along our house for weeds (if we have none in the garden)   Now and again I give them veg scraps and if they are really lucky some added cream (for the calcium)   
Many thanks for your reply
Pamela

Foxy

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 23:12 »
Any dandelions? sorry for my ignorance have not idea if they grow in Spain, but they are a good source of natural calcium, plus a little cod liver oil will help absorption :)

Oliveview

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 07:55 »
I do look out for dandelions on my walks along the track.  Cod liver oil is another matter-  I asked at the health food shop where they sell loads of odd sounding pills, mostly herby types and they looked at me as if I was mad! 
Will get hubby to look while he is back- if it is under 100ml he can bring it back in the hand luggage
Pamela

cathangirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 10:31 »
Hello Oliveview,
Your hens should also have constant access to grit (mainly for digestion) and oyster shell (for calcium).
Best wishes,
cathangirl

Oliveview

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 12:09 »
We have plenty of access to grit- our soil is really sandy and they peck at it all the time, no weeds grow in the end of the garden the hens are in :D
PAmela

Oliveview

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 22:24 »
Checked all their behinds tonight when they were up on the roost- no sign of any sore behinds :D  Just a lot of indignant squarks though :lol:
Pamela

exclamation
Flicity has slight prolapse !!

Started by Oakdalebirds on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 08, 2010, 17:15
by Aunt Sally
xx
slight blood in POL chicks droppings

Started by jellywobble on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 06, 2012, 22:21
by ANHBUC
xx
Chicken sneezing/coughing. Closing eyes and tilting head up. Slight weight loss?

Started by Ribbit on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post December 12, 2010, 16:27
by Ribbit
xx
Hen prolapse

Started by Bubbles5 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 29, 2021, 08:53
by New shoot

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 28 queries.