Poorly hen. Please help!

• 5 Replies

Caramelle

Poorly hen. Please help!
« on: July 28, 2011, 15:32 »
Hello everyone.

I'm having a big panic at the moment. I really hope someone can give me some advice (I appreciate that you're not vets, but I'd really appreciate your advice none the less).

I got back home at 11 to find Spike lying in the shade under their coop. I was a little bit surprised when she didn't get up to greet me, but it's a sunny day so didn't worry too much. Made a point to go out again a little later at which point she was inside the coop in the egg-laying area. She got up when I lifted the top and I decided to leave her to it for another little while thinking she may be busy doing an egg (even if it is a little late in the morning.. never know with my ladies).

Went out again, this time she's lying underneath the caravan - but this time I know something isn't quite right. As I'm cleaning out their coop Spike gets up and walks towards me (bless her) but her body posture is really not right at all. Her head is kept really close to her head, she's moving very slowly and generally LOOKS really quite unhappy.

I really don't know what's going on. I'm trying to get in touch with a vet as we speak, but in the meantime can anyone anyone offer any advice that may help her?

She's an ex-bat as of about 2 months ago. Has been laying really well, never had any issues. She is definitely the scraggier one of the three though.

Grateful for any replies.

Kind regards

Caramelle

Re: Poorly hen. Please help!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 15:38 »
If it's of any relevance - she didn't do an egg in the end, so not quite sure why she was in there. Could there be a stuck egg in there? Does that sounds a bit daft?

hillfooter

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 15:57 »
If it's of any relevance - she didn't do an egg in the end, so not quite sure why she was in there. Could there be a stuck egg in there? Does that sounds a bit daft?

No that's not daft it sounded to me like she may be egg bound in which case bringing her inside in a clean box with straw and keeping her dark and quiet and warm may help as may gently warming her vent area to relax and hopefully get any egg moving.  If she's had problems with soft eggs previously she maybe having problems passing a soft egg.  Some people find bathing her rear end gently in warm water and blow drying with a hairdrier also helps relax the muscles.

If it's a normal egg which has become stuck you can sometimes feel it by inserting a lubricated finger in her vent and feeling upwards towards her back.  if you can feel an egg it is sometimes possible to ease it gently down the oviduct depending how low down it is stuck.  If you lack the experience or are squimish about such things a vets visit might be in order.

If it is a soft egg and she manages to pass it she will very quickly perk up again.

Egg binding can be a serious condition leading to peritonitis which often proves fatal so if in doubt see a vet.
HF
Truth through science.

Caramelle

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 09:59 »
Hello and thanks for your kind reply. Figured I'd just give you guys an update!
After lots of telephoning around I found a vet who was happy to see her. Turned out to be very local too! Long story short there seems to be a little infection going on so the vet gave her a shot of antibiotics. Let me tell you, someone was NOT amused when the thermometer went in !!!!

She's perked up loads today so hopefully the antibiotics have done the trick. Will keep a very close eye on her for the next couple of days.

Have a good weekend everyone!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 10:04 »
That's good news Carmelle.
The cold thermometer comes as a bit of a shock to my dogs as well  :lol:
If you let me have the vets details - address and number etc I can put them in our vets lists just in case anybody else needs a good vet in that area  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

hillfooter

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 11:43 »
That's good news and particularly that you were able to see a vet and get her some a/bs at an early stage of the infection hopefully.  Once an infection of this type takes a hold it can be difficult to treat sucessfully so catching it at the first signs is important.  Unfortunately it is an all too common condition with exbatts in their second and third year.

I'm not sure what your vet might have told you but there's lots of info on the web on Egg Yolk Peritonitis EYP which is I suspect the problem.  see

http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/general-health-and-common-diseases/egg-peritonitis/index.aspx

Hope she continues to recover.
HF

xx
poorly poorly hen advice please

Started by feelingbroody on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 18:22
by feelingbroody
xx
Poorly Hen?

Started by jn on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 13, 2012, 18:21
by 4chooks
xx
poorly new mum

Started by fiano60 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 09, 2011, 13:41
by joyfull
xx
Help poorly hen!

Started by Shazzer on The Hen House

31 Replies
Last post October 10, 2007, 11:12
by muntjac

Page created in 0.255 seconds with 37 queries.