soft shell eggs

• 24 Replies

3Bluebelles

• Experienced Member
Re: soft shell eggs
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2010, 18:33 »
I have also read that cod liver oil can help, because it could be not a problem with lack of calcium in their diet, but a problem with them absorbing it, and the oil helps. A few drops on a small piece of soft bread makes it easier to give it to just 1 chicken.

Jacky.
X

henamoured

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2010, 20:50 »
Only had a soft egg a few times - but enough to motivate me to buy some poultry spice (£5)which is 25% calcium. I mixed a small amount in some porridge made with water and layers pellets. Did this for a few mornings so that they got used to the taste. Now I put about a quarter of a teaspoon straight onto layers as and when I remember. No more softies since.

evie2

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2010, 21:02 »
Have you had a look on Aunt Sallys Useful Poultry Info, very helpful :)
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

josh5357

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2010, 22:31 »
I have also read that cod liver oil can help, because it could be not a problem with lack of calcium in their diet, but a problem with them absorbing it, and the oil helps. A few drops on a small piece of soft bread makes it easier to give it to just 1 chicken.

Jacky.
X
Hi Jacky. I have ordered shell max to try, as it will take a day or two to arrive I could try the cod liver oil before then. Thanks Josh

josh5357

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2010, 22:41 »
Only had a soft egg a few times - but enough to motivate me to buy some poultry spice (£5)which is 25% calcium. I mixed a small amount in some porridge made with water and layers pellets. Did this for a few mornings so that they got used to the taste. Now I put about a quarter of a teaspoon straight onto layers as and when I remember. No more softies since.
HI henamoured, Thank you for your post, I will try the poultry spice after the shell max if I still have the problem.
Would it be too much if I Gave them everything at once ?

josh5357

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2010, 21:19 »
I've got ex batts, so have had lots of problems with soft shells.  And tried everything. Oyster shell, calcium tablets, limestone flour, etc etc.  Each time you think you've got it sorted, then another batch of soft shells turn up.

But, think I've done it this time.  Our local gamekeeper put me on to 'Shell Max Booster' from Solway Feeders.  Having failed with everything else was very sceptical, and it's not cheap, but I love my girls, so tried it.

Dosage for a few hens is very tricky, as it's a product aimed at flocks.  A 1 litre bottle of the stuff, and had to measure the daily dose for my lot with a syringe.  You just add it to their water.

Against all odds it worked.  Kept them on it for a week, then stopped.  If soft shells start again, I just put them back on for another week.  Still get the occasional softie, but huge improvement from the 1 or 2 every single day that we were getting.

News flash----No soft eggs for the last 2 days, the hens will not eat the oyster shells on their own I ground them into a flour and mixed it in with the layer meal. Early days yet and the shells are still on the thin side. Received the shell max in the post today and have added some to their water and will keep them on it as you said for 7 days.
Read on internet that commercial producers can have as many as 5% soft shell eggs from their hens.
Many Thanks to all for your help.    Josh

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2010, 22:47 »
I got another soft one today : (
"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it."

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2010, 22:48 »
Sorry I meant shell less not soft............ even more : (

CattinJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2010, 08:25 »
I got a hard shelled egg today maybe the limestone flour is working it wasn't the right colour though very pale she normally lays a dark brown egg ??? any sugestions on pigment problems????

I get quite a few softies from my ex bats and after a softie I often get pale or chalky eggs for a couple of days afterwards - I don't know why but now I know what to expect it doesnt bother me.

josh5357

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2010, 20:24 »
I got another soft one today : (
I only had 2 days without soft shells. they are slightly harder shells but the hen must smell the yoke and has broken into them. I am hoping now that the shell max will work. Josh

xx
soft shell eggs

Started by chickadee on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 24, 2009, 12:30
by Lydia-Maria
xx
Soft shell eggs

Started by ghost61 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 26, 2013, 20:31
by ANHBUC
xx
Soft shell and no eggs

Started by tomgood99 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 22, 2011, 11:48
by tomgood99
xx
Soft Shell Eggs

Started by SurreyLass on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 30, 2011, 21:14
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.257 seconds with 38 queries.