I hate myself!

• 20 Replies

Tartuffe

• "why don't you come on over Valerie"
I hate myself!
« on: May 04, 2009, 09:40 »
I forgot to go back and shut my two beautiful girls up last night (we had guests so i got distracted from my routine) and the blooming fox got them both!.........................all I have is a garden full of feathers! I could howl (and have done so for the last hour) as it was totally my fault.

Bah blooming Bank Holiday Humbug :( :( :(
Tartuffe Cavies - Black and Beige Tans of Character and Distinction

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: I hate myself!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 09:52 »
I'm so sorry Tartuffe,  that such a simple mistake has had such an horrible outcome  :(

You can't change the past but you can change the future !

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 10:02 »
Oh dear..................I am so sorry.

poultrygeist

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 10:15 »
That's such a harsh outcome for a simple error. Sorry for you tartuffe. :(

As aunt sally says, there's nothign you can do about it now and reliving it won't help you move on. Try and get away somewhere to help you get over the upset and anger and see if you want to try again. I hope so.
9 times out of 10, when a fox gets in, theres' somethign that could have been done differently to prevent it but it happens.

I hope you can feel better abotu yourself soon. :)

Rob

Foxy

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 11:42 »
Dont beat yourself up! It is such an easy mistake to make, specially if your routine was disrupted. I have automatic door openers to help prevent that happening.

karlooben

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 12:02 »
i am sorry also :( , theres been times when i have wanted to leave my girls to do as they please of a night time  but that mite be the one time that the fox would finally get in my run and i cant risk that .

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Big Jen

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 14:12 »
Really sorry to hear your bad news :( :( :(
Dont give up though like I did for 10 years. Have lots of birds back now and get enormous pleasure from them.

BJ
There are three signs of old age. The first is your loss of memory, the other two I forget.

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 14:47 »
Oh what a terrible lesson you have been given.  Time to pick yourself up and learn from that mistake.  I know you will never do THAT again!  I'm so sorry for your loss. :(
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 15:37 »
I'm sorry Tartuffe - we lost one of our originals, Monica, to a fox in the spring last year because we left them on their own for about 10 minutes - they'd gone round the far side of the run so we couldn't see them and it was nearly twilight - a fox just saw his opportunity.

needless to say, the chickens are never allowed outside on their own now - if we can't be out there with them they are shut into the run.

Don't be hard on yourself, because if you never see the fox around, you don't realise how easy it can be for it to get them.

Just put it behind you - have a good cry then start again.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 22:19 by andreadon »

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 16:20 »
Dont hate yourself! you have learnt from this so you need to move on after you have grieved for your girls!
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sparr0wman

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 17:21 »
I'm so sorry,  :(
As well as looking toward the future as Foxy mentioned auto door opener, i have a simple alarm which is set for 8:30 everynight, this might help.
CHIN UP!

Tartuffe

• "why don't you come on over Valerie"
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 21:28 »
As an update.....................I managed to forgive myself and went out and bought some new girls, eventaully ending up with six - a magpie, a black rock, a nera, a bluebelle, a sussex star and a copper black maran.  All went well for several months with me faithfully shutting them up every night...........................and they had free range during the day in the back garden.

I came home from work one wednesday afternoon at 3.30pm to find 5 of the six strewn around the garden and a very traumatised but unhurt bluebelle on the top of the shed roof......the fox had killed and beheaded my gorgeous girls in broad daylight.

I was then completely beside myself and ready to rehome the bluebelle once she had recovered as I just felt absolutely defeated......luckily my husband went out and bought me a skyline to prevent me from giving up, and I now dont let my precious girls out in the garden unless I am home and around -the girls have got very used to me shooing them back in the run when I go out to the shops, they must feel like 'fiddlers elbows' (in and out all the time!)but at least they are safe.

Im now back up to five, with the 6th and 7th arriving in the next few weeks!

I will not be beaten again! :tongue2:

8doubles

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 21:51 »
I would be making a cage trap if i had such an unwelcome visitor. It will be back without a doubt.

A pest controller with a .22 would be better if you can put up with a strange man sitting on the bottom of the bed every night for a week. :)

Manlea1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 22:12 »
While at my lottie today at dinner time i saw several fox`s wandering around without a care in the world  :blink:   certainly not shy these days the old fox  ???

hillfooter

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 23:06 »
If you can protect them with an electric net I've found this to be effective.  It's a good idea to bait the net with a strip of bacon wrapped round it.  I also have auto door openers and closers for my 4 houses which also switches the net on when the house is open and off when the doors are shut.

HF
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 23:10 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

xx
one thing I hate about keeping chickens

Started by Mrs Bee on Chicken Chat

9 Replies
Last post May 27, 2012, 18:54
by Mrs Bee

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 38 queries.