Ideal Home magazine

• 12 Replies

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Ideal Home magazine
« on: October 29, 2010, 10:26 »
For those who want to read a basic introduction to the different alternative ways to heat your home, the Nov 2010 Ideal Home magazine covers: biomass heating, underfloor heating, heat pumps, solar panels, wind turbines, the feed-in tariffs (where you get money for producing your own energy), and an article on the '10 best woodburning stoves'.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Ideal Home magazine
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 10:37 »
That should make interesting reading  :)

Thrift

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 10:46 »
That should be very interesting and I suppose is more viable if you are either installing a full new heating system or building a new house.

Two years ago when we were starting our extension I looked at various alternatives including solar panels and a wind turbine. None of them was economically viable given the very small amount of energy produced against the considerable outlay. It is also very expensive to start connecting in to an existing system to 'marry' the two.

The only thing we did in the extension was to install a multi fuel stove which is supposed to heat the new set of rads; a task which fails miserably. However, it does produce sufficient heat to warm the whole area. All things considered I think insulation is the first and most important step.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 19:46 »
Totally agree regarding the economics of renewables but with the introduction of the fee in tariffs the economics have changed.

I've just paid out to have the LPG tank filled.. £500!!! We used about 1/8th of a tank in a matter of days when we moved in but the house needed warming and the damp driving out (it's been empty for years)

Eventually I'd like to solar heat water (if it makes economic sense) and replace the LPG heating with a ground source heat pump. We'll also look at the viability of a wind turbine but it's a serious money investment.

Will see if we can get a copy of Ideal Home - thanks Yorkie :)
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Thrift

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 08:44 »
You're a bit unlucky John to have inherited LPG as it is, if I am correct, the most expensive form of heating. However, it is highly efficient and I'm sure you will be able to moderate it's use once you are nice and cosy.

We have an oil fired aga in our kitchen which is in the old part of the house so although it is now quite expensive to run, the house is always aired and warm as it is only ever turned off about one day in two years for servicing. Also of course you always have a hot oven on the go and probably a casserole in the bottom oven.  :)

Are you thinking geothermal ? I think the downside is an electric pump constantly running but I'm sure someone on this forum can tell you.

Keep warm anyway.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 07:53 »
Will see if we can get a copy of Ideal Home - thanks Yorkie :)

I can send you the pages if you haven't already got a copy (and don't want to browse the rest of the magazine!)

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 19:37 »
That would be brilliant, thanks Yorkie :)

In an ideal set up, we'd heat the house primarily with a ground source heat pump and woodburner, using solar power for water pre-heating and a wind generator (serious jobbie) in the top field. I know LPG is really expensive and it would make sense to put in a GSHP economically.

However, all the wishes cost money and it looks like we're eating the budget and savings at a fearsome rate. My first energy saving improvement will be to fit shelves above the radiators in front of the windows. The reason is that, with the curtains shut, the heat goes up into the windows and not into the room. I can prove this as the cats sit in the windows enjoying their sauna whilst we put on an extra sweater!

madcat

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 15:46 »
My first energy saving improvement will be to fit shelves above the radiators in front of the windows. The reason is that, with the curtains shut, the heat goes up into the windows and not into the room. I can prove this as the cats sit in the windows enjoying their sauna whilst we put on an extra sweater!

Conversely, you think that maybe some heating is a good idea when the cat is wrapped round the power supply fan output from the laptop for warmth!   :D :D  (It makes getting at the esc key very difficult!   >:(  )
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 20:35 »
the advantageof wood burners is the free wood you can recyle other peopls waste this is my second winter and i've got enough for this year already. Mind I do tend to live in the victorian era in simpathy with the house and only heat the room i'm in leaving the door open and have a hot water bottle in bed.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 00:18 »
Better still for the cat - come in and sit on the broadband router when you're dripping wet!  :(

madcat

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 08:01 »
OOps!  I assume the new oneis tight in under the shelf, not on it...  ::)

Thrift

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 10:20 »
Is anyone going for the woodchip boiler, may be a good option if you can grow your own fuel and have space for the hopper etc.

Spana

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2010, 22:20 »
I went to buy the magazine but it had changed for the next issue. :(

If anyone got it did it have anything about PV panels.  Has anyone got them?

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 39 queries.