Three jobs a session...

• 16 Replies

Growster...

Three jobs a session...
« on: November 08, 2011, 18:01 »
I try and keep to doing small sessions from just an hour, to up to a three hour stretch, at the weekend if I can.

Knowing what a nine rod patch full of knee-high weeds, brambles and couch grass looks like, it's not difficult to get dispirited, and one or two comments turn up here almost daily, with examples of what a big winter job there is to do!

Some time ago, when I got fed up with the same square yard of couch, which didn't seem to be going anywhere, it was an easy decision, to mutter a short expletive, and wander off to the other end of the plot, and do something completely different, like prune back the raspberries or something. And after that, not being able to face the couch for a short while, the next job was something like a quick trot round with the mower, or even the shears.

That way, the 'Growster Tripartite Division of Grunting, Snipping, Hoeing etc Work' has materialised, and even extends to four or five jobs if it's nice and sunny.

You'll always read of the old boys who just take it all very, very slowly, and they always have time to chat, wander around, never get out of breath etc, and it really breaks up the chores and hard graft if there's a nice little bit of thinning to do in the blazing sunshine which we always get (not), at this time of year...

Well, it is a bit crisper, but you see what I mean!

Janeymiddlewife

Re: Three jobs a session...
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 19:43 »
I'm with you Growster - I never finish all the jobs, but I usually have 3 on the go :) That way I spread digging or weeding over 3 visits instead of knackering my back. It all gets done eventually, but there's always something waiting for my next visit.
Next time I go it will be finish tidying the strawbs, prune the autumn raspberries, weed the leeks, start digging in manure, plant out garlic & broad beans, that should last me til Christmas......and it shows I'm working the plot so you can see the bits I've "missed"  :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 19:51 »
Yes, a bit of digging, a bit of hoeing, a bit of sitting/chatting...then back to the digging  ;)

and yes, there's pruning to fit in there somewhere and the grass edges want trimming etc etc
and so it goes on  :)...all without damaging the back or the knees  :D

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 19:57 »
I'm with you Growster - I never finish all the jobs, but I usually have 3 on the go :) That way I spread digging or weeding over 3 visits instead of knackering my back. It all gets done eventually, but there's always something waiting for my next visit.
Next time I go it will be finish tidying the strawbs, prune the autumn raspberries, weed the leeks, start digging in manure, plant out garlic & broad beans, that should last me til Christmas......and it shows I'm working the plot so you can see the bits I've "missed"  :D

Janey, you've summed it up better than I did!

It's a micro-farm down there, and sometimes, in a daydream, after a damn good hour's digging, I'll wander round muttering obscenities at the carrots, (foully flied), and then laughing at the leeks (getting there well - so far, but beginning to bolt a little, so what do I say to Mrs G when she wants some for the seoooooop)l), then tripping over the netting round the calabrese, several times...

It never stops really does it! Weed the leeks ! B****r, I've forgotten them - all 186 of them...!

And I really, really understand about 'knackering my back' - God it hurts but in a - 'phhhhhhh',  nice way.....

(Twit Growster, what on earth did you write that twaddle for...)

;0)

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 19:59 »
Yes, a bit of digging, a bit of hoeing, a bit of sitting/chatting...then back to the digging  ;)

and yes, there's pruning to fit in there somewhere and the grass edges want trimming etc etc

Sanity, from the Honourable Member for Kent!

Thank you Mum, I hoped you'd turn up too!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 20:08 »
I'm terrible for not finishing a job before starting the next not just in the garden, but in the house too my poor wife I think after 24 yrs she's now used to me  :wub:

I worked really hard at finishing this job, I started at one end and nearly got to the other, now it's started raining and more raining  :( If it stops then I'll try to clear the last 16 feet or so

3 weeks work !

Even with a the odd "chat"   ;)
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Comfortably Numb

• Experienced Member
    • Dung Beetle's Allotment Plots
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 20:18 »

Oi Growster, I'm honourable too  :tongue2:

This morning I continued with the digging using the backsaver spade. Then had a coffee and a chat, then laid some paving slabs and blocks and re-positioned the IBC water container, then had a coffee, then stuck adhesive hangers on some seed packets in the seedstore, cleaned up the loo which had been vandalised  ::), then just as I was going, I had to find an owner for a loose dog that was running around  :)
Cheers, Comfortably Numb.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long ..........................

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 07:10 »

Oi Growster, I'm honourable too  :tongue2:

This morning I continued with the digging using the backsaver spade. Then had a coffee and a chat, then laid some paving slabs and blocks and re-positioned the IBC water container, then had a coffee, then stuck adhesive hangers on some seed packets in the seedstore, cleaned up the loo which had been vandalised  ::), then just as I was going, I had to find an owner for a loose dog that was running around  :)

Absolutely Comforts - and now to be mentioned in despatches as well by the Kent Lost Dogs Brigade!

Actually, that was a lot of work you did there...!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 10:52 »
Richy that is an impressive amount for three weeks and at least you got it finished before it rained  :D

I try to aim for a bent over type job, a standing up type job plus a wandering around thing too, as then I don't get stuck inot one shape and unable to get back in the car afterwards  :lol:

the bent over job is interspersed with spells of the others  ;)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 11:57 »
Not exactly the same as Growster - each task has 3 stages; thinking about it, having a cup of coffee and thinking about it some more, then actually doing it (provided it hasn't decided to start raining by then!)  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 15:26 »
Not exactly the same as Growster - each task has 3 stages; thinking about it, having a cup of coffee and thinking about it some more, then actually doing it (provided it hasn't decided to start raining by then!)  :)

Can I join that club please Jay? I like those rules a lot  :D

jmc1949

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 15:45 »
It makes perfect sense Growster to have 3 jobs on the go each session.  I've have only had my lottle for 5 weeks now, but I do tend to do, a heavy job (usually digging at present), a light job (usually weeding) and a totally relaxing one (walking up an down the site with a cup of coffee seeing what others have done when I've not been around :D :D).

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 15:53 »

I always find that thinking about   it   ::) a task usually takes a lot longer than doing it   :nowink: 

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2011, 16:12 »

I always find that thinking about   it   ::) a task usually takes a lot longer than doing it   :nowink: 

and the greatest effort is getting up of the sofa and out of the door  :lol:

Growster...

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2011, 17:51 »
Richy that is an impressive amount for three weeks and at least you got it finished before it rained  :D

I try to aim for a bent over type job, a standing up type job plus a wandering around thing too, as then I don't get stuck inot one shape and unable to get back in the car afterwards  :lol:

the bent over job is interspersed with spells of the others  ;)

Very astute that KC! Like the concept!

Could I add a sitting-on-an-old-woofer-speaker-box-to-weed-onions-without-bending-too-much then?

At least I can wheel the big spade back home afterwards, and that shakes out most aches and stretches etc.! Getting into a car afterwards would be a nightmare!

xx
Jobs for the day

Started by muntjac on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 04, 2007, 19:02
by brucesgirl
xx
jobs

Started by beetrootboy on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post September 07, 2008, 17:34
by beetrootboy
xx
jobs done on Plot since mid Feb

Started by Pompey Spud on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post March 22, 2009, 16:58
by Pompey Spud
xx
What jobs are you doing this month?

Started by DHM on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post January 11, 2019, 04:54
by DHM

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 39 queries.