jobs

• 17 Replies

beetrootboy

jobs
« on: September 04, 2008, 21:32 »
im only 14 and iv been looking at jobs id like a job out side in fresh air but none of them seem to be paid well like a wild life photographer or agriculturist or a tree surgeon i was wondering what i could do i dont want to work in a office or in a city

can any one help me
    :?
beans
free heating in winter

Riala

jobs
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 21:39 »
Your location is a little ... general!

Have you tried any local farms, zoo's or wildlife centres in your area?

I am unsure of the laws and legalities involved in employing people under 16 other than paper rounds though.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
jobs
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 21:40 »
good on you for thinking about this seriously... I'm 20 years older than you and I still don't know what I want to do!!

If you want to do something hands on in the outdoors why not look into farming?  You could start off as a farm hand and work your way up.

Or how about training as some sort of landscape artist - there can be a lot of money in that if you're good at it.  

Have you selected your pathways yet?  My 14yo daughter was looking into doing cad design as she is interested in doing interior design, and the cad could be useful in lots of different situations.

How about looking outside of the box and doing something like forensic work;  a lot of is is not office bound as you are detecting and investigating and it can lead to a fantasticly interesting future either remaining in the job or training other officers how to do it.  

Me?  I always thought I wanted to be something to do with childcare as most girls do, but ended up working in a call centre  :roll:   Don't think I really would have liked the childcare thing as I'm much more at home in my allotment than anywhere else on earth.  Shame I don't get paid for it  :roll:

beetrootboy

yes i have
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 21:46 »
yes i have but you know the pay is rubbish for a garden designer im not to sure about working on a farm though because i dont know if the pays good
i want to do something outdoors though  i was thinking of setting up a organic farm and going to agricultural collage

Brambles

jobs
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 21:46 »
Most outside jobs do not pay very well unless you stay at school and get some qualifications.  What about the BIG garden centres or large estates.  You would probably have to do a sort of appreticeship, but it will be outdoors and a great life.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Re: yes i have
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 21:49 »
Quote from: "beetrootboy"
yes i have but you know the pay is rubbish for a garden designer im not to sure about working on a farm though because i dont know if the pays good
i want to do something outdoors though  i was thinking of setting up a organic farm and going to agricultural collage

whereabouts in 'the world' are you?

PinkTequila

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 22:30 »

If you just want good pay then maybe you are barking up the wrong tree.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 22:32 »
Quote from: "PinkTequila"

I don't think that's fair to say... he wants a good career that will pay well... who doesn't  :?

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
jobs
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 22:43 »
My number 2 son is 17 and just starting 2nd year at agricultural/horticultural school, same one I went to, and he's enjoying every minute of it can't wait to get back.

I'm a bit puzzled as to why you think garden design is poor paid good Landscape architect can receive £80k+ benefits, good landscapers are rarely out of work and one I know makes about £50k+ a year, good money but hard work and poorish pay to start.

Be nice to know roughly where you are in the country it would help with recommendation's etc.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
jobs
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 22:47 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
My number 2 son is 17
 :shock:   you don't look old enough!

You are right though about good landscape gardeners as opposed to bob-a-job folks who will cut your hedges for a fiver.

If I could have my time over I'd go to agricultural college and train as a poultry breeder and I'd buy a smallholding and raise free range chooks to sell to the public,  a bit like our own Grannie Annie  :D

PinkTequila

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 17:40 »
Quote from: "SnooziSuzi"

I don't think that's fair to say... he wants a good career that will pay well... who doesn't  :?

Maybe I have a slightly different more hippyish approach to life. A good career that pays well comes low on my list!

Yabba

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 17:43 »
Maybe I have a slightly different more hippyish approach to life. A good career that pays well comes low on my list!

You should come work in our field, I only get paid when I ask ;)

¥

penance

jobs
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2008, 17:55 »
Hi beetrootboy,

Your right, the money earnt in may outdoor careers does not match that of other, often easier jobs.

What i can tell you is that when i was a arboriculturalist I enjoyed it immensely and the low earnings didn't really worry me.

If you find a job/career that you love and enjoy then it can by far out weigh low earnings.

beetrootboy

jobs
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2008, 19:28 »
thanks you haave a good pouint im just thinking of the way the worlds going up and all you know inflation and im in mersyside thats where i am

Eristic

• Experienced Member
    • http://downtheplot.com/index.php
jobs
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2008, 21:00 »
Well I think it is time for a reality check.

There is no such career as Rich and Famous.

Any highly paid job is going to take 10-20 years of hard graft on low pay to aquire the knowledge and skills required. One way forward towards riches is the academic route requiring immidiate knucling down to serious study in order to achieve stonking good 'A' Level results that open the door to a stonking good University. This enables you to study even harder to acquire a good degree leading to a Doctorate, Phd, or Professorship which opens any door you want opened.

Alternatively you can embark on a non-academic career working many long hours at minimum wage until you reach a standard where your services are sought after.

Another reality check.

A good gardener earns £200 - £300 per day.

xx
Jobs for the day

Started by muntjac on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 04, 2007, 19:02
by brucesgirl
xx
jobs done on Plot since mid Feb

Started by Pompey Spud on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post March 22, 2009, 16:58
by Pompey Spud
xx
Jobs for july says

Started by Beetroot Queen on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 07, 2014, 20:08
by Beetroot Queen
xx
What jobs are you doing this month?

Started by DHM on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post January 11, 2019, 04:54
by DHM

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 39 queries.