How High is too High?

• 3 Replies

psychobabble

How High is too High?
« on: April 06, 2011, 14:26 »
Hi again, you were all so helpful when i asked about whether chucks would put themselves to bed and about my fox-proofing plans so I'm back! 

I have now decided to go ahead and get some lovely chucks - my eglu comes on Friday - took me ages to decide over eglu or trad house....and hubby and I are building the run Saturday morning with the hope of collecting my new lay-dees (sorry :)) in the afternoon.  Anyway about the run - I was planning on building it approx 4.5 feet hight, sunk into the ground by 9-12 inches as recommended - with a wire roof also to prevent jumping foxes!  However is there really any need to build it this high - I was thinking it would be easier for raking and cleaning, but could I just hing the roof and have it say a metre high?

Agghhh so much to think about, but sooo exciting - I'll avoid the obvious pun on that one!

Thanks in advance all x

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Re: How High is too High?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 15:42 »
Sounds like the run is going to be permnament so I would go for one you can stand up right in for ease.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 17:26 »
Aidy is right about you need to think how easy it will be to clean out, but if you've got a hinged roof that gives you easy access a metre high should be fine. You'd still have room to put a low branch in for them to perch on if you wanted to.

Dominic

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 12:09 »
A metre tall with a hinged roof isnt going to be that helpful, unless your really really tall.....
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

xx
How High??

Started by Pep on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 11, 2008, 16:12
by poultrygeist
xx
How high should a run be?

Started by Henlady on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post January 28, 2010, 20:19
by Carl_shave
xx
how high can they fly

Started by mumof4 on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post June 17, 2008, 20:50
by Porffor
xx
how high

Started by bailey on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 05, 2010, 11:52
by Chablis Dog

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 28 queries.