Home made cheese

• 4 Replies

Scribbler

Home made cheese
« on: December 11, 2013, 18:46 »
Anybody ever tried making cheese at home? I'm guessing there are limitations, eg curd cheese is probably the only possibility?

Also I gather you can use lemon juice instead of rennet for a vegetarian option.
Growing salad leaves isn't rocket science.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
Re: Home made cheese
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 19:05 »
I've made cottage cheese with a buttermilk starter and personally, I think it has a better flavour than that made with lemon juice.
(Those recipes were on the pc before I got a laptop and I only have print-outs now, but I got them off the internet, so you should find something)

You can get vegetarian rennet I think.

I tried proper cheese once but couldn't get the proper wax to preserve it.  It was okay...
Anne

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 19:10 »
I make a feta type cheese in summer when I use a lot, and ricotta with the whey. You can decide how soft or hard or strong you want it. You can get vegetarian rennet but it has a short shelf life. I'm not sure how economical it would be in GB though, milk over here is cheap (and raw) The waste whey goes on the compost heap or in the chickens (because I can! :lol:) or dogs.

There are other ways of doing it besides rennet or lemon, but I haven't tried it. I have made soft cheese from yoghurt though.

There is loads of stuff on the internet, just gurgle whatever you need to know. :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 19:21 »
Lakeland do cheese making kits and recipes, so also might be worth looking on there to see what you can buy and for feedback on their products.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Mrs Bee

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 19:49 »
I bought the Lakeland book and kit at the beginning of the year and had a go at the recipe for feta.

Well feta it wasn't! it was ok as a sort of curd cheese. I know I have only tried one of the recipes in the book but I was rather underwhelmed with the results.

I have the cheese making book by Paul Peacock and plan to have a go next year as  time overtook me and I have been getting my head round hot and cold smoking this year.

Next year I plan to have a proper go at cheese and turbo cider too.

xx
Cheese cake made with jelly

Started by sclarke624 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post April 19, 2012, 17:04
by chrissie B
xx
Making Cheddar cheese at home.

Started by magician176 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

10 Replies
Last post March 07, 2011, 04:26
by magician176
xx
Home made Chilli

Started by Armleywhite on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post July 23, 2013, 13:43
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Home-made Mustard

Started by Pescador on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post June 06, 2018, 13:01
by New shoot

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 39 queries.