Crop rotation advice!

• 8 Replies

Donnay

• Experienced Member
Crop rotation advice!
« on: July 25, 2012, 21:30 »
Hi folks

This is my first year on the lottie and could do with some advice on my crop rotation plan. I have 7 raised beds and need to know if it's ok for brassicas to be moved next year into the bed I have onions in this year and for the onions to go where my roots are this year?

Any advice welcome!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Crop rotation advice!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 21:37 »
A simple rule is - as long as you don't follow like with like it doesn't really matter ;)

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 21:46 »
Bottom crops follow top crops is an easy way...

Kirpi

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 22:16 »
I started out with a seven year rotation but have settled for a six year rotation because I have set aside one whole bed for comfrey, nettles and alfalfa as a permanent green manure cutting bed.

My six beds go as follows:

Year 1 the bed gets a massive helping of homemade compost and in spring I set out my potatoes on top of this and put layers of straw on top to shut out the light and give the spuds something to grow into.

I follow potatoes with a green manure that will over-winter but hoe off easily for next year - something like winter tares.

Year 2 the compost and straw have rotted down and in early spring I hoe off the green manure. The bed is now firm enough for onion sets and garlic, which I start off in modules and plant out. Leeks and spring onions also go in this bed.

Onions are followed by any plants I want space for so long as they are not Brassica as it is good practice to keep brassica years apart by at least three years.

Year 3 is for Peas and Beans. These will fix nitrogen, which will be great for next year.
If there is time, I will sow an over-wintering green manure of alfalfa or winter tares to increase and hold onto nitrogen over winter for next year.

Year 4 and the bed is firm as I don't dig if I can help it and I didn't need to dig after Peas and Beans - I just hoe them off. Year 4 is Brassica and these will benefit from the nitrogen fixed in the previous year and over winter.

Year 5 - this bed will now be for Carrots, Parsnips, Beetroot, Fennel, salad crops and miscellaneous plants.

Year 6 and the bed is ready for a good meal by now - a heavy helping of compost which is laid on and left to cook over winter after bed 5. Here I plant squashes, pumpkins and Sweetcorn with climbing beans clinging onto the sweetcorn and sticks I drive into the bed for support. The squashes provide good shade to keep watering to a minimum for the sweetcorn.

Now the bed is deep in composted material, more is piled on this winter ready for potatoes all over again and so on.

Year 1. Potatoes
Year 2. Onion family
Year 3. Peas and Beans
Year 4. Brassica
Year 5. Miscellaneous
Year 6. Three Sisters

hope this helps - works for me but a lot depends on where you live and what soil you have and other factors.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 09:40 »
The no dig method can be brilliant, but It is not always easy  to accumulate the required quantity of compost for Kirpi's system.

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 11:26 »
I don't bother with a rotation plan, the idea just bores me to death  :D

Just don't plant the same crop where you've just taken it out.  I take photos to remind me what went where. I think a visual reminder is good, alongside a trusty notebook.  I also put in a label or stick etc upon which I write what is sown or planted. It's serves as a reminder when you come to sow or plant the follow-on crop

I mix veg up in my beds as I don't like monocultures, but it does make rotation trickier.  One does what one can though to keep things rotating  :)

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 15:31 »

Just don't plant the same crop where you've just taken it out.  I take photos to remind me what went where. I think a visual reminder is good, alongside a trusty notebook.  I also put in a label or stick etc upon which I write what is sown or planted. It's serves as a reminder when you come to sow or plant the follow-on crop

I mix veg up in my beds as I don't like monocultures, but it does make rotation trickier.  One does what one can though to keep things rotating  :)

Like spinning plates CQ...;0)

Quite agree with what you say, there's more to gardening than following every rule!

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 22:31 »
Hi folks

This is my first year on the lottie and could do with some advice on my crop rotation plan. I have 7 raised beds and need to know if it's ok for brassicas to be moved next year into the bed I have onions in this year and for the onions to go where my roots are this year?

Any advice welcome!

Hi Donnay... simply click on the "Grow Your Own" tab at the top of the page where you will find loads of info including rotations...
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 22:38 »

me too  plus i grow lots of things that don't fit in with the gruops!
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

xx
Some crop rotation advice

Started by Rachel on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 08, 2007, 11:05
by Rachel
xx
Planting Garlic - Crop rotation advice required

Started by mrsparkle on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 19, 2011, 13:20
by Yorkie
xx
Crop rotation

Started by BarbnClive on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 01, 2010, 11:24
by Zippy
xx
Crop rotation

Started by Leisurely on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 09, 2008, 23:50
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.373 seconds with 37 queries.