not a happy hen

• 6 Replies

T C

• Experienced Member
not a happy hen
« on: January 13, 2010, 21:48 »
Hi, my hen for the last 3 days is a bit laid back, not eating much, i have noticed that her poo is yellow has anyone got the link that i once saw on here about the poo ie what is a good poo and what isnt, dont know whats wrong with her she dosnt look ill, just stands about, she is drinking ok, she has just had her moult, could this be something to do with it? T C
T C TOP CAT

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: not a happy hen
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 21:53 »
I don't know much about chickens, but I know where the poo is:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

T C

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 22:01 »
Thank you DD i will now study it

hillfooter

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 22:36 »
Yellow frothy droppings can be a sign of the need to worm however I've noticed that they also tend to produce such droppings in wet weather and it maybe a sign that they are ingesting more droppings when they drink surface water and scrat about.  I wouldn't get too concerned unless there are other symptoms of depression.  This weather no chickens are as busy and active as in milder conditions.

I don't think the poo pages will help you much as I suspect there nothing to worry about.
Regards
HF
Truth through science.

T C

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 09:01 »
Hi Hillfooter, its funny you should say about the wet weather, we are having here in Spain really wet weather, i have noticed some white froffy dropings, but under the roosting perch is the yellow powdery droppings, she ate some scraps this morning and was out side in the pen when i went out to feed them so im a bit happier this morning. T C

Foxy

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 09:17 »
Personally I think that chicken droppings do not really tell us that much in most cases apart from what we would expect.
More importantly are other symptoms, light weight, abnormal crop, lethargy and a chicken that is "huddled" into itself are more telling symptoms of illness.

Looking at droppings is usually the last thing I look at an ill bird. Droppings are so variable particulary when on a wide diet range, or the climate has changed -ie chook brought inside for observation. :)

hillfooter

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 15:41 »
Personally I think that chicken droppings do not really tell us that much in most cases apart from what we would expect.
More importantly are other symptoms, light weight, abnormal crop, lethargy and a chicken that is "huddled" into itself are more telling symptoms of illness.

Looking at droppings is usually the last thing I look at an ill bird. Droppings are so variable particulary when on a wide diet range, or the climate has changed -ie chook brought inside for observation. :)

I totally agree with Foxy their droppings can be very variable and in themselves aren't a good indicator of problems.

HF

xx
I am so Happy

Started by Nails on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 12, 2010, 09:13
by Flowerpower136
xx
not a very happy chicken

Started by lynnsb on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post November 19, 2010, 11:49
by bantam novice
xx
Happy Days!

Started by wadz81 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 08, 2009, 12:58
by LittleRedHen
xx
Happy chucks

Started by Fat Hen on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 02, 2008, 22:51
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 30 queries.